Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bktl

When does zone 6 start planting?

bktl
10 years ago

First year gardner with itchy hands wanting to plant.
The ground is wet but its warming up when should I transferr all my veggie starts into the garden?

Comments (6)

• hamiltongardener
    10 years ago

Zone 6 should be OK to put in cold weather veggies like broccoli, cabbage, should be fine for lettuces, peas etc.

Don't plant warm weather veggies like tomatoes, peppers, eggplant... not yet. Wait until after your last frost date.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Zone 6 is a big place so it isn't as if there is one date, or even one week, for the whole zone.

Are you 6a or 6b? When is your last frost date? Average plant date for warm weather crops is approx. 2 weeks after that date depending on soil temps. What are your soil temps running? Has your weather been normal this year? What is the long term forecast?

I am 6b and zone 7 and it is still far too soon to plant my tomatoes except under cover much less peppers this year as spring as been much more wet and cooler than normal. Normally I would have planted 2-3 weeks ago.

transferr all my veggie starts into the garden?

Which vegetables specifically? No way everything gets planted at the same time.

Dave

• buckeye_brian
    10 years ago

Well I live in SW Ohio. We finally got a nice sunny day yesterday and I bit the bullet while I had a day off of work. I planted everything! Well everything except for my 2nd and 3rd corn plantings. My Habeneros are really small and I expect with today's all day soaking rain...they are pounded into the mud and will need to be replaced. But I am ecstatic to have the garden in...

• uncle_t
    10 years ago

Markham, Ontario.

Spinach, chard and beet seedlings are up. Tried something different this year and sprouted about 1 sq. yd of densely planted peas (pea shoots for stir fries and salads). Looking good. Some dill poking up in a few containers and waiting for some escarole to germinate.

Today I seeded a dozen 3 gallon containers with basil (in the garage with old windows over top the pots).

Even though May 9 is our last frost date, odds of another frost around here seem low (according to forecasts). I want to believe, Scully. So I'm cautiously hardening off tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and marigolds.

• Molex 7a NYC
    10 years ago

Mulder, please explain to me the scientific nature of the "Whammy"

Mostly planted out here in NYC

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

I wait until almost memorial day to put in the tomatoes. I have Kale, Carrots and onions in right now.