Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djkj_gw

Eggplants - Growing, Fertilizing & Harvesting different types

djkj
10 years ago

Just wanted to share this video I came across on this blog with some tips on different Eggplant Varieties (Black Beauty, White and Japanese)

http://youtu.be/wdRAtmfORJ0

It has tips on how to fertilize as well as types of eggplants and harvest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guide to Growing Eggplants

Comments (12)

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    10 years ago

djkj, thanks for the link. I am growing black beauty for the first time and appreciates information like this. Hope you have a great garden this year!

• djkj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sure, dirtguy! Hope your Black Beauties turn out great! I love Black Beauty because they are so easy to grow, they do have a lot of water content though. But great produce and easy to grow!

• fern1knits
    10 years ago

I grew Black Beauty last year and it was a beautiful plant, and the fruit was pretty tasty. I also grew Black Egg and was less impressed - I had a ton of fruit but they were rather flavorless. This year, I'm trying Black Beauty, Black Egg (just to give the variety another chance), Florida Highbush, Listada da Granada, and Pingtung. I keep trying to grow Turkish Orange, but haven't been successful, so I'm giving up on that variety.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

My favorites are Rosa Biancas, which are lovely Italian heirlooms similar to Listada de Gandias. I grew Listadas last year and was surprised to find they have fierce thorns. Be careful when harvesting! I've also grown pingtung long and ichiban. They are very prolific but I found them to be a little bland. I always grow my eggplants in large containers. They seem to produce a little earlier that way in my climate.

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

I like Japanese, such as icheban, cause they can just be sliced and thrown on the grill or into some sort of dish!
    The big black ones all come ripe at once, and need to be salted and stuff! Also, what do you do with several at once?????? Nancy

• fern1knits
    10 years ago

I'll add the Rosa Blanca to my list to try.

If I had a lot of eggplant to use, I would make a lot of baba ganouj to use as a spread for bread and dip for veggies. You can also puree cooked eggplant into a lot of pasta dishes. I've made a beef stroganoff with pureed eggplant thrown in and it's amazing.

• tracydr
    10 years ago

Nancy-you can pickle eggplants, either with vinegar or fermentation. I made fermented pickles the summer I had a ton and they were my favorite pickles!

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

I agree with Ohiofem. I find the Japanese types a little too sweet and bland, and the traditional big black ones are of course too reminiscent of gross grocery store eggplant. My favorites are Rosa Bianca and Udumalpet. Both have great eggplant flavour but neither are particularly prolific.

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info. Nancy

• seysonn
    10 years ago

OK. The topic that I am interested to learn more is FERTILIZING.

Do you fertilize like the guy does in the video ?
    I have just used ordinary / all purpose fertilizers in the past and have had pretty good production.

My favorites are Japanese and Chinese slim types. YES, they are sweeter not BITTER. The Ichiban is the most prolific.

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

I find eggplants to be quite heavy feeders like tomatoes and I fertilize them similarly.

• djkj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice to know everyone is trying to grow different varieties and the opinions about them. I have had great success growing Black Beauty. Yes they do need heavy fertilizing in the growing season. The results are worth it :) I have been using an organic fertilizer with lots of bacteria in it and it seems to provide good amount of soil activity (lots of worms!)

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone