Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emorems0

Hardening off and transplanting seedlings... cool & rainy

emorems0
9 years ago

I have a couple flats of seedlings that need to go in the ground... I've spent the last week+ helping them harden off and they seem to be doing just fine outside for long periods. Last night I forgot them on my porch until late and they looked just fine when I checked on them so I left them out overnight (low was in the 50s, only a few degrees lower than the daytime temp). Still doing fine this morning and ready to go in the ground... problem is, rain, rain and more rain. I know "April Showers" and all that, but we haven't had more than one clear day in a row for the last week and it's forecasted to rain nearly every day through the next 10 days. Temps are pretty consistent in the 50s day and night for the next 10 days and May 1 is our last Spring Frost date so I feel okay leaving my tomatoes out... but I don't want them to drown in the garden. My tomatoes are re-potted in 4" pots, I planned on planting them out this weekend, but they could probably stay on my porch until the rain clears (hopefully in the next 2 weeks). But my cool crops (broccoli, cauliflower, nasturtiums) should have been in the ground a week or two ago we just haven't had any clear/dry days and they need to get in the ground ASAP.

How do you plant out with all this Spring rain???

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!