ediej1209

Growing iceberg lettuce - tips?

ediej1209 AL Zn 7
10 years ago

I love leaf lettuce. A lot.
My unimaginative husband, does not.
Deer's Tongue, Red Sails, Oakleaf, Romaine
Nope, he wants his Iceberg - plain.

OK, before I get too "Seussy", here's my issue - I have never been able to successfully grow iceberg lettuce. Talk about Epic Fails, jeesh... so, anyone who has been able to get it to grow, would you please share your secrets? Should I start it inside, then transplant it or direct seed; in our area, when? (Please don't tell me it's too late already :^( the snow just melted last week!) What type of soil does it prefer? Should it go into the "ground garden" or the raised bed? All sun, part sun, more shade than sun?
Thanks in advance,
Edie

Comments (19)

• Mindyw3
    10 years ago

I just seeded more lettuce and will continue to through the end of May here in nebraska. What has the problem been?

I don't grow ice berg or romaine because it has very little nutritional value but i have grown little Caesar the same as my red Lola, Simpson and freckles and it did fine.

• terry_neoh
    10 years ago

Yes, Edie, start it indoors. Unfortunately, it is a little late as they should be going outside about now (we planted onions yesterday and are farther north than you). But, the seedlings grow quickly, and we might have a late summer.

After they are established, mulch around the plants with straw if available, or some other light colored cover (shredded newspaper?) to keep the ground cool. Good luck!
    -Terry

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I will get some started tonight. I really don't know what the problem has been... it just does not grow. But every time I've tried it has been direct-seed, so maybe this time will be better.
    Thanks again!
    Edie

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

I don't grow Iceberg, although I do grow a lot of other types, but is there a reason it can't be direct seeded in the garden? What is the rationale behind starting it inside if it is already time to plant it out?

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

I don't know your area, but ice berg is about as easy to grow as any lettuce. Takes a bit longer and needs space, so transplanting is highly recommended. Should be transplanted about two weeks before your spring frost date. At this stage you should probably look for plants at local nursery. It is no problem to start in a cold frame but it takes about six weeks to grow to transplant stage. Variety does make a difference as in all plants, but the original iceberg (Bonnie plants does pretty well and is about all that's available as transplants. {{gwi:40762}} {{gwi:40763}}

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Farmerdill mentioned the crucial point - space. Unlike leaf lettuces which can grow well in very crowded conditions iceberg cannot. It requires a good 8-12" per head to developed. Otherwise it just shuts down.

It can be directed seeds of course but then massive thinning is required so using starts/transplants work best.

This time of year just buy some transplants if you can still find them. Better yet just grow your leaf lettuces and buy hubby a head of iceberg at the store once a week or so. It is one of the few things that tastes no better from the garden than the store. It is 90% water anyway and just wastes garden space.

Dave

PS: try Buttercrunch if you haven't. Many times iceberg lovers will discover its worth and then you can ease them up from it to other varieties. :)

• ltilton
    10 years ago

It's too late. Most icebergs are prone to bolting, so they have to be grown before the height of the summer heat. Since they take longer to head than other varieties, this means seeding inside and transplanting in your/my zones.

There's a variety of Iceberg called Summertime that I've found to be somewhat bolt-resistant. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate it this year and am using last year's leftover seeds.

Otherwise, growing it takes most of the usual lettuce-growing tricks for midwestern climate - partial shade, lots and lots of water, nitrogen fertilizer, and, just for Iceberg, extra space.

I don't consider Iceberg intrinsically less nutritious than other lettuce varieties. ALL lettuce is mostly water. But with Iceberg, people will throw away the more nutritious green outer leaves and keep just the interior head, which is vitamin-low, just like the hearts of any other heading variety.

What I would suggest for the husband is giving a Batavia variety like Nevada a try. It grows faster than Iceberg, stands longer in the heat, and makes a pretty nice head with less trouble.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some great suggestions, thanks. It's just that he's so good about helping to take care of my leaf lettuce which he won't eat that I thought I'd do the "turn about is fair play" thing. I think I might see if some of the nurseries might have some Buttercrunch, that sounds interesting.

Thanks,
    Edie

• terry_neoh
    10 years ago

It might not be too late to direct-sow Buttercrunch seeds if you can't find any plants. I have some plants out now, but I am going to seed some as soon as I can (the packet I got is enormous.) I figure to just plant it and use it like leaf lettuce, while thinning some down (6"-8" either way) and see if they head.

BTW, Buttercrunch is very easy to eat with my bad teeth, as well as tasting mild, as Dave alluded.
    -Terry

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

When looking for starts edie, the butterheads might go by the name of Bibb.

Kevin

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Bibb. Good point Kevin!

Dave

• terry_neoh
    10 years ago

The plants might even be called "Boston."
    -Terry

Here is a link that might be useful: more stuff

This post was edited by terry_neoh on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 20:25

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all very much! I appreciate that you all took the time to answer. OK, so Buttercrunch/Bibb/Boston is what I will ask about tonight when I stop at the local Plant Nursery on my way home from work (didn't get to on Friday.)

Edie

• planatus
    9 years ago

The butterheads are great, but your husband will want iceberg or a French-crisp or Batavian type (Sierra is representative variety). With these crispheads, the main things are to give them space and keep them moist. In early summer, when they are heading up, I often erect a shade cover to help them hold in the garden a little longer.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I started a flat of buttercrunch/bibb in cold frame several weeks ago. Then after emerging I kept them outside. Yesterday i did some transplanting in the garden.

To Floral-UK
    The reason for early start indoor (instead of direct sowing) is that in a lot of locations in the US spring is short and it warms up quickly and things like lettuce get bitter and/or just bolt.

I have never grown iceberg. It is crunchy alright but watery and tasteless TO ME. Boston lettuce is my favorite.

• ltilton
    9 years ago

I find that the butterheads don't stand the heat as well as some other varieties - definitely not as well as the Batavias.

• tracydr
    9 years ago

I grew ice burg one year. Didn't quite get full heads but harvested as cut/come. It was surprisingly tasty and I can't stand store bought! It was also a darker green.
    I think I planted too close together for heading.

• ltilton
    9 years ago

It can be done.

Tip: pick the right year when there's no heat wave.

• shane11
    8 years ago

Summertime is a great head lettuce variety. I grow it treated just like you would cabbage or broccoli if you have grown those. Pinetree Seeds in Maine carry this variety. I grow it as a spring and fall crop in my zone 7 (NC).