Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is eating my leaves now?

Posted by steveaggie 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 13:15

I have recently gotten control of caterpillars, but there is something bigger eating them now. I am using BT and an organic slug/snail killer. Seems to be working well. My leaves have bigger holes on them now. Yesterday I saw poop on the leaves. I haven't found any creatures on them yet but once I saw a ladybug looking thing and I know I have a lot of pill bugs. I can't remember if the slug/snail killer is supposed to handle those. Thanks all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is eating my leaves now?

• Posted by egnilk66 9 - Southern Califor (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 16:12

Caterpillars. Looks like Tomato Hornworm poop...

o

Was just going to say, that looks like hornworm droppings.

If it is, thats a red alert. If you've got sevin, soak those plants in it now. If you want to go organic, get a blacklight out there tonight and start picking them off. One hornworm once it's grown up (which doesn't take very long at all) can strip a full sized tomato plant to the stem in a day.

o

What time of night do they come out? So the blacklight doesn't scare them off... is that the idea? Is the only organic method to pick them off? I have been spraying some BT lately. Not sure how often to spray they still seem to be alive and eating!

Thanks

o

Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 17:10

Just make sure you aren't washing the BT off. BT should be fine....don't resort to Sevin, unless of course you don't mind eating that.

So, go give your plant thorough going over, looking at the undersides of the leaves/stems above where you find the poop, and pick them off. THen back that up with a nice covering of BT on tops AND BOTTOMS of leaves.

o

BT will not always kill the large ones. Go out there at night...that's when they move around and you can see them, and pick him off. It may only be one of them but they do a lot of damage.

o

Nah, you use blacklight to find them for the same reason you use it to find scorpions at night, they fluoresce. Much easier to find and pick them off when they're literally glowing in the dark.

o

Pick them off and feed them to the chickens.

o

Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 11:08

Wow, this is cool! YOu can get a UV flashlight from newegg (and other places, I'm sure)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0400262481

Here is a link that might be useful: UV Flashlight at New Egg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here