Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizing

Posted by nico_girl3 9a (nico_girl3@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 13:35

I'm putting my plants in the ground this weekend. I have a fish emulsion and a seaweed fertilizer I was planning to mix and spray on them, is this enough? Do I spray just their leaves or the ground also? I have some aged manure I am thinking of adding to their beds, is this good/bad, or should I use something else? Can anyone recommend a good fertilizer? I do plan on setting up a worm bin soon, I know worm poo is a really good fertilizer. But in the mean time what is recommended? Sorry for all the questions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizing

Have you read through all the other fertilizer discussions here? There is a FAQ too. I think you'll find all your questions answered in many of them and there are hundreds to choose from but no 1 perfect one. Same goes for the use of manures in food gardens - lots of discussions.

So rather than rehash all that I'll focus on the point that you never want to spray anything on a freshly transplanted plant. Transplants need several days to recuperate from transplant shock before you hit them with anything else. Transplant time is hole prep time, not spray time.

Also note that there are very specific guidelines for spraying anything on even established plants - foliar feeding is for established plants only, it must be well diluted to 1/2 strength or less, only apply early in the morning, never in the heat of the day or the direct sun, and you lightly mist the leaves you don't drench them.

So once your plants recover from being transplanted (a cool shady day is best) then use your fish and seaweed stuff per the label directions around the base of the plant.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: fertilizer FAQ and discussions

o

Thanks Dave. I'll have to scour the fertilizing posts. I didn't know about not spraying new transplants. Thankfully this weekend is supposed to be warm but overcast, so hopefully I will be lucky there. Thanks for the link I'll check it out.

o

If you have bonemeal, depending on the vegetable, you can put some bonemeal in the hole and put the plant on top of it.

o

Why make something hard that's easy? Buy a bag of organic fertilizer and follow the instructions on the label. You do need it, it's not just an option. With experience, you will learn how various crops grow in your soil, which need more fertilizer and which need less. Organic fertilizers work differently than synthetics, but they give a nice even feed as they break down. I actually enjoy using them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here