Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yessabub

2nd garden need help

Yessabub
9 years ago

So last year was my first vegetable garden and it was great I did tomatoes, peppers, cukes and broccoli all turned out very successful, Im going bigger this year . This season I plan on growing mainly potatoes, broccoli, carrots, corn, and green beans and also wanna do some cukes, bell peppers, tomatoes, and lettuce. My plot is 15x17 right now will that work or do I need to go bigger?? My other question is what should I have next to what and how much should I plant it's only a family of 3

Comments (11)

• bardamu_gw
    9 years ago

You should go bigger if you have room and if you enjoy it. Plant onions and spinach in my opinion.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Given all the things you list to grow - unless you only want a couple of each - then you'd need to at least double it in size or more.

Broccoli are big plants and corn and potatoes are BIG garden crops. Both need lots of room in order to get enough production to make the work worth while and to justify the space they require.

Otherwise I'd suggest skipping the potatoes and the corn and focus instead on small garden crops.

Dave

• Yessabub
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I extended it today so now it is 15x22 how would this work ya think?

• lexusnexus
    9 years ago

You should be able to get at least 2 gardens out of it. I love doing that. Your size should easily handle it. I agree that corn requires a lot of square footage so it may not be worth it. I have never done potatoes have no advice. Be careful with cramming too many things together as excess crowding may lead to lower productivity of plants because they are all competing for scarce resources.

Dan

• Yessabub
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How many rows can I fit and how big do they need to be?? It's the long way north south so I believe I have to do the rows the long way true?

• terry_neoh
    9 years ago

Your lettuce and green beans will be done early if you plant them early. Then, in the same place, you can plant carrots and broccoli to grow into the fall. Personally, I like the flavor of fall grown carrots, broccoli and lettuce better.

• Yessabub
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok so what way should my rows go the short way or long way? the long way is north south but I wont be able to fit as many rows

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Rows east to west is the usual recommended pattern for best sun exposure but that all depends on what your sun exposure is based on surrounding buildings/trees. Only you know that.. You can run them anyway you wish otherwise. In fact planting in rows isn't required for any reason and many don't do it but plant in blocks instead.

Dave

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    9 years ago

I agree with Dave, I changed mine to east west and I have saw a big improvement in my garden.

Also the shorter rows makes things easier. You may not want a long row of some things. I end up mixing different veggies in the row if it is long and that doesn't work well.

Also when it's time to weed, the shorter rows have a lesser psycho effect on me since I hate to hoe! It isn't so daunting hoeing a 75' row compared to a 150' row!

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

If rows are east west then of course more care must be taken to get tallest crops to the north and shortest south.

• gardenper
    9 years ago

I grow 3 varieties of peppers that I like to eat, and about 3 varieties of basil also. So while you mentioned a general name of the plants you had, in case you were only growing one kind, now you can grow several kinds.

I also like mustard greens as well as feeding it to my birds for their greens to munch on.