Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okra pot size?

Posted by LoveTheDirt none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 13:55

I am growing Clemson spineless okra from seed. The seeds already came up and I want to keep them in containers. What would be a good pot size to grow the okra plants in? Also, what type of soil should be used for these okra plants?
This is my first Time growing okra so thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okra pot size?

I grew okra for the first time last year, so I'm no expert. But FWIW, I grew three emerald okra in a 15 gallon container in the 5-1-1 mix discussed in the container forum (5 parts pine bark fines, 1 part peat and 1 part perlite). They grew seven feet tall and the pot was filled with roots by the end of the season. So my guess is you would need a pot that holds at least 5 gallons for each plant. You also will probably need to stake them (I did) and find a way to keep the pot from being blown over in the wind. I grew them about the same way I grow peppers, with regular fertilizer and allowing them to dry out between waterings. They turned out pretty well and had few pest problems. Plus, the flowers are very pretty. You just have to remember to harvest each okra as soon as it gets 3-4 inches, or the plant will stop producing.

o

Agree you'll need as big a container as possible - like a half whiskey barrel or bigger - and stake or tie it somehow as okra will get very very tall.

As to what 'soil' to use? No soil. Soil-less mix only as with all containers.

Dave

o

I used huge, 30 gallon tubs. 2 plants per tub. They did quite well in this.

o

I grew my clemson spineless in 5gal buckets sunk 1/3 into the ground. I used regular potting soil with some compost mixed in. I harvested quite a bit of okra with absolutely no problems what so ever. The plants got to be 4-5 feet tall. I wouldnt go less then 5gal, and you can get thebuckest pretty cheaply.

o

If you're not in a hot summer zone, use dark coloured containers. Okra likes warm soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here