Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
10-10-10 fertilizer dilution

Posted by badmajon GA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 14:08

Hi, I'm new to gardening but I read that I should fertilize my garden regularly (every three weeks or so). When I tilled my garden I worked 10-10-10 fertilizer into the soil. Can I dilute this stuff in water and spray directly onto the plants for regular fertilization? If so, what ratio should I use? How much per plant in terms of liquid volume?

I have tomatoes, eggplant, bell pepper and jalepenos in my garden, not to mention some collard greens.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 10-10-10 fertilizer dilution

I read that I should fertilize my garden regularly (every three weeks or so).

Did this source say why you should have to fertilize it so much? And did it address the importance of timing those applications with the fruit set on fruiting plants?

I think it is safe to say that very few gardeners whose soil is well amended or who use granular fertilizers would apply it that often. Perhaps with diluted liquid supplements but not granular.

But if you wish fertilize that much to then most granular 10-10-10 fertilizer is not water soluble so no, that won't work. The only way granular fert can be applied in a "diluted" form is just to apply 1/2 as much per row or sq. foot (whichever the label directions give you) than is called for on the label. Or you can side dress each plant or row with 1/2 the label amount.

So what specific brand or type of fertilizer are we talking about?

Dave

o

Concur: Useless you are gardening in sand which will hold no nutients, you don't need regular feeding for vegetables. As dave stated, there are a few back yard gardeners that use foliar feeds ( miracle Grow, fish emulsion) which are instantly soluble, quick acting and quick to dissapate. A granular fertilizer is slow to dissolve, slow acting, and usually lasts through the growing cycle of most plants. Heavy nitrogen feeders like corn can benefit from an application of fast release nitrogen just before fruiting begins.

o

Disregard about 10-10-10's not being water soluble. The only thing not water soluble is the gravel filler. The nitrogen is almost always urea, potassium will be from KCl or muriate of potash, and I forget the phosphorus compound but they are all very much water soluble.

I dissolve 1-2 tbs per gallon water for indoor plants, seedlings, and whenever I want to give a quick dose to plants in the garden. It may need some pulverization if you want it to dissolve quickly.

o

I am with Wokney.Nitrogen in fertilizer is readily soluable and so is potasium. I am not worried about phosphorus and its immediate action, because it is always present in the soil.Or enough of it.
I have a watering station in the shade, with a 50gal barrel of water and couple of 5gal buckets and of course a watering can.
I dump about a pound(2 cups or so) in a 5gal bucket, stir it, let it soak, stir it again(often). Of course I could bur liquid fertilizers, right? But they cost too much.
When I want to fill up my watering can, I add about a quarter of the solution in the bucket.
I water my young seedlings, new transplant with that. I am talking about special case watering. When it dries up, gets hot, I use hose too.
At the end I sprinkle the stuff left at the bottom of the bucket.
In earlry spring , I also lightly sprinkle 10-10-10 or urea as well. I also add compost, horse manure.
I find the so-called "organic fertilizers" beyond me.

o

I'd rather get what I pay for. Sure wouldn't buy fertilizer with gravel in it. If you want soluble buy soluble.

o

This sounds a little rich to me. If your soil is infertile then maybe this is justified. I would rather just use home made compost, comfrey and worm bin tea. If the plants are not growing particularly well I will add a little blood, fish and bone meal or chicken manure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Allotment Garden

o

@ Taz.... When they say 10-10-10, it is clear that 30% by weight is pure fertilizer. It does not matter what the remaining 70% is ; clay , gravel, sand. So in a 20 lbs bag of 10-10-10 there is : 2 lbs of nitrgen; 2 lbs of potasium and 2 plbs of phosphorus. And it is inexpensive. As far as the plants are concerned, it does not matter where the nitrogen atoms come from. an organic fertilizer with the above amounts of NPK costs five times more. So I actually get a bigger bang for my buck.

o

What ever floats your boat seysonn. I'd rather have pure fertilizer and use a tbs or 2 on the garden than have to spread 20lbs of it. My garden has enough clay, rocks and sand in it now. Why would I want to add more??
BTW I'm not new to this so I don't need a lesson on fertilizer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here