Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sowed broccoli seeds directly into ground...too many!

Posted by srg215 6b NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 14:21

i have a bunch of seedlings started indoors but decided to sow some directly into the garden as well. the seeds are so tiny & dark that i guess i didn't realize how many i had sprinkled. i now see like 20 germinated sprouts close together in each square foot of space (i used 2 square feet for the broccoli). at what point do pull some out? do i pull out all but one per square?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sowed broccoli seeds directly into ground...too many!

You can thin seedlings at just about any time depending on how careful you are. Some prefer to wait until they are at least 1" tall just because they are easier to separate.

If you have fat thumbs and fingers like me I prefer using snips to thin rather than pulling them as it doesn't disturb the roots of the others that I'm leaving.

As to how many to leave per square, that's a sq. foot gardening issue so they would know best. 1 per sq. foot sounds about right to me but in really fertile soil some would probably try to squeeze in 4.

Good luck with you broccoli. I hope the weather cooperates with you planting it this late.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here