Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrewholman

Raised bed wood treatment needed

andrewholman
18 years ago

Hi, I have just built a raised bed vegi garden out of douglas fir 2"x10" 's and need to find a VOC free, natural wood treatment to help prolong its life outdoors and still be safe to harvest the goodies. I would have used cedar or redwood but the cost was 3x!

I lined the inside sides of the beds with a 6mil black plastic.

I live in AZ..so its very dry. Good and bad, I know.

Any ideas? I have done some searches and not found a lot of into on this topic.

thanks!

drew

Comments (27)

• memo3
    18 years ago

Would linseed oil work?

MeMo

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

That's what I was thinking too... There are "VOC Free" paints as well.

• jschmenk81
    18 years ago

You might find some more info on this in the square foot gardening forum, but from what I've read its not worth the trouble to treat the wood. Either way it starts to rot in a couple years, but with 2 inch lumber, you'll get several years from it before the boards need to be replaced.

Here is a link that might be useful: Square Foot Gardening Forum

• andrewholman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Great, thanks for the info!

Here is a company that I found online with a link to a product that might work.

Anyone know of this company?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bioshieldpaint.com

• mike48858
    18 years ago

When I built my raised beds, I used a product called 'Lifetime Wood Treatment' and am very happy with the results. The 2x10 pine boards are starting their 5th year now, and are practically in the same condition as when I first placed them in the garden. The wood changes color to a silvery patina, which looks very nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lifetime Wood Treatment

• quartlow
    18 years ago

I don't know about treating it, but when you build new beds use Oasge Oragne or any of the locust family of trees.

We have locust post's here on the farm that have been in the ground 80+ years and are still solid.

• ant3eye
    18 years ago

I built a couple of my raised beds out of cedar but as you said the price is crazy. The rest of my raised beds are regular untreated wood. No plastic liner, no oils, no nothing.

When they get too rotten I'll have to build new ones. Hopefully they'll last at least 5 years. After 1 year, they still look great.

ant

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of my raised beds

• Blane_in_MS
    18 years ago

I just use pressure treated 2x12s, the old myth about chemicals leaching into the soil? just that. All of my peppers are fine, tomatoes, basil..etc..eaten em in years past, no probs, the wood still looks good, thompsons water seal during the winter one time, looks good, way cheaper than cedar, plus the sealer comes in a variety of colors. have fun with it!

• bob411
    18 years ago

Here's a picture of my raised bed.

Bob

{{gwi:41841}}

• bob411
    18 years ago

Yeah I know it's a little silly. The kids have outgrew this pool, and we like to recycle. I figured with this we don't need a fence to keep the bunnies out.

Bob

{{gwi:41842}}

• ant3eye
    18 years ago

Bob, that's the greatest thing I've ever seen. :)

ant

• andrewholman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

He He.....that is quite....creative.

I can see a Jeff Foxworthy joke somewhere.

:-)

• Blane_in_MS
    18 years ago

Bob, um...ahh, lets see...are you going to fish your vegys out of there?....or just walk on in and mash that soil down. please give us your harvesting methods, thanks

• bob411
    18 years ago

As you might guess, this is our first year, so I'll have to let you know how harvest goes.

Bob

• ant3eye
    18 years ago

You can harvest with a skimmer net of course. I'd go light on the shock treatments this year though.
    :)

ant

• mainelyjim
    17 years ago

I have been wondering about that product called LifeTime Wood Treatment to treat the boards of a raised bed. What I am wondering is would it help preserve the boards on the inside edge(i.e. the soil edge)?? Because I have a high clay content in my garden and the soil is moist for much of the year. I want to build some raised beds that last, but not have to utilize something as ugly as cinderblocks to obtain durability. Has anyone any experience with this product in direct contact with the soil? Does it help stave off rot?? Thanks, J

• dvdgzmn
    17 years ago

You've already done the right thing. The plastic liner on the inside will keep the wood dry and that's all you really need in your climate. Don't waste your money on wood treatments designed to keep people's decks looking nice.

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

If you have the money, recycled plastic would be the best one time investment.

{{gwi:41843}}{{gwi:41844}}{{gwi:41845}}{{gwi:41847}}

• carleyspringwater_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

eco wood treatment works better than the other product , we bought some at home depot , its great for raised beds

• rwictorin_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Yes , we used the same product as andy , we bought ours at sherwin williams called Eco Wood Treatment.it was recomended by our garden club, its a non toxic wood preservative that is safe for gardens and veggies,

• ecowoodtreatment_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

yes eco wood treatment is our favorite!!

• BlauerPlanet
    13 years ago

I'm confused. Are Lifetime Wood Treatment and Eco Wood Treatment the same thing???

When I look at the websites it almost seems that way. They claim that their stuff is used for the same kind of things:

Nova Scotia Natural Resources for picnic tables
    City of Calgary for treating sound barrier fencing
    British Columbia Ministry of Transportation for highway and municipal sign usage
    Parks Canada in several national parks
    Commercial and residential builders in Canada and the U.S.

http://www.valhalco.com/questions.htm
    https://ricochet.heritagewebdesign.com/~bruce16/faq.html

And it's described in a similar manner. Any insights?

• richardscontruction_gmail_com
    12 years ago

from what I can see the eco wood treatment product does not have the plant particles in it,whatever that is? eco wood treatment is also sold at home depot, lowes,that must be the best one I would assume

• garden1111
    10 years ago

Eco Wood Treatment , made by Intl Eco Wood Treatment Ltd and lifetime wood treatment, made by Valhalla wood preservatives are two different companies.

THERE IS CONNECTION !!!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I built mine from 5/8" - 6" by 6' cedar. I stacked two boards. I figure for a 3' by 6' bed that is fine. Plus, the price (@ about $2.50 per board) is very reasonable. Not counting labor, each bed costs about $18. Not bad.

• Vesparina
    10 years ago

Please HELP!
    My husband and I are at a difference of opinions about preserving the wood for our vegetable garden raised beds. He has already painted part of the beds with a white paint to preserve them. I would've rathered him not do this. My belief is that the chemicals will leach in to the soil then in to the veggies. Can this be remedied? I was thinking that maybe we can then either cover the painted part with garden sheeting plastic or apply a more non-toxic preservative over the painted part of the raised beds. Can someone please give me your opinion? He's moving faster than I can type!