Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bush Crop Cucumbers

Posted by amybeth1969 Virginia, 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 08 at 14:49

Hello,

Is anyone growing Bush Crop Cucumbers? I'm having the hardest time finding planting instructions for them. Do I still grow them on a hill? How big exactly is the hill suppose to be? How far apart do I space the plants? How much room do I leave for them to grow? I just can't find this info. anywhere!! Augh! If anyone can give me some advice, I'd so appreciate it!

Thanks,
Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bush Crop Cucumbers

My experience with bush cukes is that they will get about 2-3 feet in diameter. And yes, I plant them on a raised mound - not a big one - but a small hill anyway as they will have some short draping vines.

But many grow them in large containers so likely you can get by without the mound if it fits better in your garden. Either way you are bound to get cukes. ;)

Dave

o

Had to share. I started everything way too early. The winter blues got me down and I needed something to perk me up. Anyway, I started a few bush cukes first in 12 ounce styrofoam cups and transplanted to a 20 ounce plastic cup. The plants had three or four large leaves on them. I started taking them out and letting them get some sunshine about a week ago. The plant started vining and I'm looking at 1/2 inch baby cukes and flowers.

The moral of this story: Don't sweat it. Plant the seeds and watch them grow.

o

Testing to see if I can post pics.
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here