Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robbiroxann22

All leaves are turning white and dying...

robbiroxann22
10 years ago

My cucumber plants were doing great. Noticed yellow flowering. All of a sudden the leaves are wilting and turning yellow. Stems seem to be healty. Have not noticed any bugs or anything on the plants. Any hope they will produce veggies?

Comments (10)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Powdery mildew.

• AiliDeSpain
    10 years ago

My cucumbers are in pots too...the older leaves look rough and are drying at the ends. I think its normal however yours seem to be lacking significant foliage. What variety is it?

• robbiroxann22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As far as the variety, I really have no clue. Started off as a fun project with my son and I have really grown attached to the plants. I bought the seeds from Walmart in a pack. The leaves were very "crispy" if you will. I did pluck them off and leave the flowers to see if it would get better. We had lots of rain last week and the temps dropped to the mid 40s so I wondered if they were temp shocked?? They are planted in the organic soil until I transplanted them to the larger pots about 3 weeks ago they are in regular soil again from Walmart.

• AiliDeSpain
    10 years ago

Did you bring the plant in when the temps dropped? Cucumbers will not do well with temps under 50.

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Like your zucchini in the other post, these plants look rather leggy. They are flowering while they still have their seed leaves on them. That makes me think they were stressed while they were growing from seed. Premature flowering is a reaction to stress such as insufficient nutrients. They should be strong leafy plants before they start flowering. And they also look as if they were insufficiently hardened off. And finally there is the question of the container size, same as with the zucchini.

• robbiroxann22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WeiredTrey, start over as in the entire plant? Today is day 55 that they have been planted from seeds. I started them in peat moss containers and then Good Friday I transplanted into larger pots. I did bring them a few nights and put them back out the next morning. The yellow plants have started this last week.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Start over yes. That plant can't be saved.

Did you remove all the peat pot when planted? If not then that is just another problem for this poor plant.. Get a bigger container, fill it with any good soil-less potting mix and plant seeds in it directly. Cukes do not like to be transplanted unless absolutely necessary.

You might also want to do some reading over on the Container Gardening forum here. Lots to learn first to save yourself all these problems.

If you are going to try growing things from seed indoors then some reading on the Growing from Seed forum too will be of a big help if for no other reason than to avoid the leggy plant problems.

Dave

• robbiroxann22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you so much. I am so glad that I found this site and joined. I am learning so much. It pretty much has to be container planting based on the rental property until next year. If anything it has been a great experince for my son and I researching and reading and watching the plants go from seed to plant. Thank you all.