Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 Pounds Seed Potatoes

Posted by cebiginalaska 3a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 14:54

Hello. I just bought two pounds of Yukon Gold and two pounds of All Blue seed potatoes. I knew I wasn't going to get much but the potatoes that I received were huge They were already starting to grow I cut the Yukon Golds in half because they didn't have very much eyes. That scar was there when I received it.

I haven't received the All Blue potatoes yet. I was wondering if I should buy more seed potatoes. 5 of the seed cutting potatoes are starting to grow but our ground is still frozen with snow still here. 5 of the seed potato cuttings I am not so sure about. I am wondering if I should buy 4 more pounds (2 of each) I bought these from territorial seed company.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 Pounds Seed Potatoes

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 15:44

I'd put the ones you have in the 'fridge to slow their growth. It's not an issue that they are already sprouting, it's actually a good thing and will speed their growth in the garden, but it *IS* a problem if you can't plant them for a while. So get them in the 'fridge ASAP.

As for buying more......up to you, but the best deals are found at local stores if they carry potatoes. My local Southern States sells them for something like $0.43 per pound!!! Of course that does you no good if you can't get them locally.

The ones I don't get locally, I get from an outfit called DeBruyn Seeds (see the link below). They have fantastic prices on potatoes and asparagus. For instance, you spent $15.50 for 2 lbs of Yukon Gold at Territorial, but DeBruyn has 5 lbs for $3.49 and 50 lbs for $19.50!!! For a mere 4 extra dollars, you'd get 48 more pounds of potatoes!!!!!

I've been buying both asparagus and potatoes from them for years and have never been disappointed. I have no affiliation with them, just a satisfied customer

Here is a link that might be useful: DeBruyn Seed Co

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here