Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purslane Seeds?

Posted by lnewport Austin, Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 15:04

Does anyone know (besides Hirts) who sells Purslane seeds or plants? I know it's a weed in many areas but I don't have them here and I would like to grow them as a vegetable crop.

Thank You!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purslane Seeds?

Many seed companies have it. Baker Creek is one.

Jim

o

I bought Goldgelber and Red Gruner from Pinetree Seeds.
https://www.superseeds.com/products.php?cat=93

The Hispanic community here likes purslane and so I decided to grow some for my market. I have never eaten but I understand it has a tangy, lemony taste. I have read you can pickle it. That might make an interesting condiment.

o

I bought mine at JL Hudson, seedsman. It's a bit of work to order from them, but the prices are reasonable and they have a huge selection of different seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: JL Hudson, seedsman

o

Thanks everyone!! I think it's going to be interesting to try these. At least "weeds" are easy to grow LOL.

o

Southern Exposure sells them as well.

o

The three most abundant weeds in my garden are purslane, lamb's quarters and amaranth. All three are edible, have cultivated varieties and are sometimes grown intentionally. I have eaten the wild varieties, but not routinely. They are good if harvested at the right stage of growth.

Maybe it's time to pay more attention to these weeds. They would be more attractive as foods if they were given a bit of care like we give the regular vegetables so their quality would be good.

Jim

o

I dug these up last year on a walk LOL. They were great...and most importantly, free!

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Those thick, succulent stems are begging to be made into pickles, aren't they?

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: The Joy of Purslane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here