Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to Plant Corn in NY?

Posted by organicmommyjessica (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 15:33

I'd love to try my hand at corn this year but I'm not sure when to plant it! I live in upstate New York.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to Plant Corn in NY?

When oak leaves are mouse ear size. No really! I used to live there. Not before the middle of May anyway.

o

It depends on where in upstate NY you are, but generally just pay attention to your areas last frost date - and plant around then.

I'm around Albany in upstate NY, and I will plant my corn somewhere between May 15 and June 1 depending on my free time and weather forecasts.

o

Depends on soil temperature. Most corn seed packages tell you what soil temperatures to wait for until planting.

Could vary from about 55 to 70 degrees. If there is a short growing season where you live, you may only be able to plant an "early season" corn.

That is not all bad. I grow Early Sunglow corn every year. It can be planted in soil of about 55 degrees, I believe, and matures about 60-63 days after planting, and is very tasty. Good fresh, and wonderful to freeze.

o

Where I am in the mid-Hudson Valley (near USMA at West Point) it is recommended second or third week of May.

o

• Posted by skeip 4b / 5a WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 24, 10 at 17:00

I thought it was when oak leaves are the size of squirrels ears, mouse ears are pretty small!!

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here