Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Probably a dumb question about asparagus...

Posted by mollyh 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 16:05

What is the difference between asparagus crowns and plants? I planted little Mary Washington plants this year that I bought at the nursery. Everything I read online refers to planting crowns.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Probably a dumb question about asparagus...

If it was already starting to grow, it would be a plant. If it's a crown, it would just be the root which is dormant. That's my guess.

o

Asparagus plants grown from seeds will eventually develop into asparagus crowns. It take 2-3 years for a small crown to develop and then each year it gets a little bigger until at 10-15 years it can easily be the size of a small plate. It is crowns that produce the edible spears.

Planting plants means it will be an average of 3-5 years, depending on the growing conditions you provide, before you will get any spears that can be harvested. That is why most buy developed crowns to plant - so that they can harvest spears to eat a year or two sooner.

Dave

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 20:26

They are the same, but if you are talking about planting, you would say agus crown & if you found bugs above ground you would say on my agus plant. That way we who can not see the plant would know what you meant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here