Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to use seed onions?

Posted by msarro PA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 16:11

Hey everyone! This past weekend I was at our local farm bureau, and they had "seed onions" for a low price of .70/lb. At the price, I snatched up a handful since I only have a small planter to put them in (an old wooden cargo box, about 2ft deep by 3 foot long by 2 foot wide). I am planning to put potatoes on one side, and onions on the other.

The problem is, for the life of me I can't find any kind of planting instructions for "seed onions." They're not seeds, just little tiny onions - kind of like seed potatoes or seed garlic. Can anyone provide a little bit of an idea of what I'm supposed to do with these guys? Searching for google keeps returning lots of guides on growing onions FROM seed, but that doesn't apply here I think. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to use seed onions?

Sounds like they're sets. You just plant them in the ground, kind of like you do with Garlic cloves.

o

Yeah don't know why they labeled them "seed onions". That would make it really hard to find any info on them. They are called onion sets and link below is all about how to plant them.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: How to plant onion sets

o

You don't plant them deep as you do with garlic. Just set them about half deep in the ground.

o

In this modern era someone might buy these as a food item to peel and cook with peas so the identifying label might be meant to differentiate food from planting product which might likely be treated with a preservative fungicide. I find the label appropriate. By switching the words the description is fulfilled. SEED ONIONS are the old standard in second year flower produced "small onions" to be used for seed; ONION SEEDS are the relatively new commodity of seeds that can be grown to produce a crop of onions. Frankly, I'm more fascinated by the opportunities of the later. Now many new genetic traits are available that previously were limited to 4-5 old standard varieties that the hardware stores would stock in bins.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here