Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ailidespain

How long for potatoes to sprout?

AiliDeSpain
11 years ago

I planted mine a month ago and nothing. I planted yukon gold seed potatoes, how long does it usually take for the sprouts to appear above ground?

Comments (24)

• Anne Wolfley
    11 years ago

Mine took almost a month this year. A few still haven't come up. They're Yukon Gold.

• lonmower
    11 years ago

a month doesn't seem like too long for here...cool wet weather

• AiliDeSpain
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just dug one up and it has five long shoots about four inches long. We have had cool wet weather too so maybe it's normal? Does it sound okay with what i saw when i dug it up?

• ltilton
    11 years ago

Sounds fine to me. I've known them to take a month, particularly when they hadn't done much sprouting before planting.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    11 years ago

Depends on alot of factors. Size of eyes, soil type, temps, depth, etc. Worst case scenario mine took almost a month once, and best case, as was already mentioned under good conditions, a week to 10 days. I got anxious once or twice and carefully probed a little into the soil and you can usually find the sprouts.

• AiliDeSpain
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did chit them but the eyes were not long by any means, I would say like 1/4 inch. Soil temp was probably too cold and has been too cold lately for much to happen. Depth was about 5 inches.
    I guess I should just be patient? The sprouts I saw on the one I dug up today were white about four inches long and there were about five of them on the potato in all directions. Is this what it should look like? Are those the sprouts that poke up out of the soil and begin to produce leaves?
    This is my first time for potatoes so I am not sure what to expect.

• planatus
    11 years ago

The potatoes will produce roots before leaves, so by the time the foliage comes up there is a spider of a plant down there. Most of my potatoes are just up, and yesterday I filled in missing spots.

In some years I have had to replant twice because of cold wet weather or voles. I hold back a few seed potatoes knowing I'll have holes to fill.

11 years ago

Aili.... yep, your fine. They'll break through eventually.

• AiliDeSpain
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for the information and reassurance!

• srkinney
    8 years ago

I was getting concerned no youkon gold potatoes yet but after reading comments i feel better ill be patient

• ilodato
    8 years ago

Mine took 1-2 weeks. It's been a month now and they look like this. I'm zone 6b. But they were already sprouted which I'm sure sped things up. I'm sure if you saw sprouts today, they'll come up soon.

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    8 years ago

Mine took 2 1/2 weeks, and they were pre-sprouted. The soil was still cold.

8 years ago

Yeah, mine aren't up yet after a couple of weeks, but I planted them deep. They'll eventually show up :-)

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    8 years ago

Mine takes about 2 weeks. I chit them and only cover 2 inches to start with so they get going quickly...then they get more dirt.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

Planted on St. Patrick's day with only minimal chitting, mine took about 3-4 weeks to show up this year. Yukon Gold were the slowest at 28 days and Red Norland the fastest at 22 days. Dakota Pearl, Norkotah Russet, and Kennebec were in-between. All are growing well and between 18"-24" tall now.

• srkinney
    8 years ago

I only plant yukon gold i just love them it has been a little cold in southern oregon a little unusual for may so im going to be patient, i don't give up easily thanks for the imput everyone

• srkinney
    8 years ago

I planted my corn when the soil was warm but not the potatoes i guess i learn something every planting season

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    8 years ago

They take about a week in my pantry. LOL!

• srkinney
    8 years ago

I do have sprouts i peeked and iam hopeful

• srkinney
    8 years ago

yeah, my potatoes are finally up Iam so happy

• srkinney
    8 years ago

I will send pictures soon

• HU-373113455
    5 years ago

I just planted my Yukon potatoes last Friday. It's been raining here in Florida should I move them so they don't get root rotted

• HU-735297894
    4 years ago

Planted my Yukon gold the first week of May here in alberta Canada., still no sign of any sprouts.....got my fingers crossed though!