Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long for potatoes to sprout?

Posted by AiliDeSpain 6a - Utah (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 16:13

I planted mine a month ago and nothing. I planted yukon gold seed potatoes, how long does it usually take for the sprouts to appear above ground?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long for potatoes to sprout?

Lots of variables but a month is far longer than I have ever experienced. Within 10-14 days is average for me, sometimes earlier depending on weather/rain/planting depth, etc.

I'd carefully dig up one and see what is happening.

Dave

o

Mine took almost a month this year. A few still haven't come up. They're Yukon Gold.

o

• Posted by lonmower zone8 Western Oregon (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 18:05

a month doesn't seem like too long for here...cool wet weather

o

I just dug one up and it has five long shoots about four inches long. We have had cool wet weather too so maybe it's normal? Does it sound okay with what i saw when i dug it up?

o

Sounds fine to me. I've known them to take a month, particularly when they hadn't done much sprouting before planting.

o

Depends on alot of factors. Size of eyes, soil type, temps, depth, etc. Worst case scenario mine took almost a month once, and best case, as was already mentioned under good conditions, a week to 10 days. I got anxious once or twice and carefully probed a little into the soil and you can usually find the sprouts.

o

I did chit them but the eyes were not long by any means, I would say like 1/4 inch. Soil temp was probably too cold and has been too cold lately for much to happen. Depth was about 5 inches.
I guess I should just be patient? The sprouts I saw on the one I dug up today were white about four inches long and there were about five of them on the potato in all directions. Is this what it should look like? Are those the sprouts that poke up out of the soil and begin to produce leaves?
This is my first time for potatoes so I am not sure what to expect.

o

The potatoes will produce roots before leaves, so by the time the foliage comes up there is a spider of a plant down there. Most of my potatoes are just up, and yesterday I filled in missing spots.

In some years I have had to replant twice because of cold wet weather or voles. I hold back a few seed potatoes knowing I'll have holes to fill.

o

Aili.... yep, your fine. They'll break through eventually.

o

Thank you everyone for the information and reassurance!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here