Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Help, need ideas on moving a heavy raised bed.

The last time we made raised beds they were 4ft x 4ft and easily moved. We made a much larger 4x12 bed and didn't realize how heavy it was going to be when finished. I think this Eastern Hemlock is heavier than pine too. We should have assembled it where it was going to stay, but it now needs to be moved into position. The rest of the beds will certainly be assembled in position, but now what?

I don't want anyone to hurt their back trying to pick it up. I can't think of what I can do. We might have one of those wood on wheels that is fairly low to the ground, for using for car repairs, but the bed is on grass and not sure the wheels will work. Wheelbarrow, doesn't seem like it will work either. Hand cart seems inadequate. I'm out of ideas.

Comments (14)

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    10 years ago

One person on each corner should be pretty easy. You have 32 linear feet of frame so each person is only carrying the weight of 8 linear feet. Maybe I am missing something. Let us know what you do.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, that is worth a try. We didn't have four people and tried it with two people, four would be better. Okay, that is definitely the next thing we'll try. That might work out fine. I'll let you know how it works out. Thank you!

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Agree - you just need more people. For that length even 6 pairs of hands would be better. Have some friends over for supper and say, "Oh, by the way would you...". :)

Dave

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOLâ¦.good suggestion, Dave. Before they eat right? [g]

• veggievicki
    10 years ago

Pipes. Set pipes on the ground. Once you get the first one under then you can tilt it up and roll onto the others. You keep removing a pipe from one end and carry it to the front end. I would think a 2 inch pvc would work if you had to buy something if you don't have stuff laying around. Or if you have round fence posts. You might buy a few and use somewhere in your garden.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Take it apart and reassemble on spot .
    I make mine first in 4 pieces (2 end + 2 sides) and then assemble it.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh great, more ideas. I knew there was some technique that should work, but all I could think of was a fulcrum and that didn't sound right. The rolling pipe I think is the technique I was trying to remember. One of those things they probably taught us in school and I'd long ago forgotten. They probably used something like that building the pyramids. [g] Thanks Vicki.

Seysonn, we are using 6" wide boards to make a 12" high bed, so how are you assembling the sides and ends first? We used the 4"x4" posts to assemble. The last time we had 12" high boards and just screwed them into each other at the corners, which we could get away with I guess in a 4ft x 4ft bed. We could take it apart. We might have to. Thanks.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Will it parallelogram if you tip it onto a long side? I would have thought it would be easier to shift on edge than flat, whatever technique you use.

• changingitup
    10 years ago

Even with four people you might find sliding tow ropes (or they actually sell moving ropes for this) under each side and lifting with those make it easier as you don't have to lift as high or be in an awkward position as long. Another trick we've used to move heavy things is two dollies, one on either side. Lift and roll. On occasion we've had to use both methods to move something. Good luck.

• Kevin Reilly
    10 years ago

It's a simple structure, probably take 10 minutes to take all screws out, take one piece at a time and reassemble..

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Did I say that normal space recommendation should be
    20 square feet?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    I use the same size lumber, width wise( 2 pces. of 5 1/2" = 11")

I join the length and width by a corner piece( 2x2, 2x3, or 2x4 ..). I first install those on the either the ends or sides. I brace the long sides couple of places. Now they look like an old barn door (consisting of just two boards).

Now I have two side pieces and two end pieces. put them together on spot. .

Here an sketch I just made on PAINT.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More good suggestions. Amazed at how many different ideas youâÂÂve all come up with. [g] WeâÂÂre going to tackle it this weekend and IâÂÂll let you know how it works out.

Seysonn, thanks for the drawing and the explanation. ThatâÂÂll work too.

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

I just add more beds that are in the sun! ;)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, success! The bed is in place and ready to work on the second bed tomorrow. We have the entire vegetable plot marked off with stakes and string and the rest of the beds will be assembled where they will end up. [g] It wasn't as bad as we were expecting. We didn't disassemble because the corners were glued. We discussed all the different ideas offered and we had four people and the bed was sitting up on wood blocks, so we tried just pushing the bed onto more blocks until we got it where it had to go. It moved quite easily on the blocks without any strain on anyone. It also didn't have to go far, maybe 5ft. Exciting to be making progress. Thanks for all the help!! Great ideas and I will remember them in many different situations where something needs to be moved.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022