Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How big a grow bag for potatoes?

Posted by ania_ca 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 16:42

How big of a grow bag do I need for potatoes?

Not sure how much space I need and what size container will accomodate one or several seed potatoes.

First time trying potatoes.

Ania

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How big a grow bag for potatoes?

I bought four potato bags last year and had great luck. I planted 4 or 5 seed potatoes in each.

o

You can grow 2 seed potatoes in a 5 gallon bucket, 6 in a 1/2 whiskey barrel. The bigger the container you get the more you can add. Figure 8-10" spacing minimum plus you will need room for piling some dirt and straw on top of them.

Dave

o

I grew potatoes in the extra large grow bags last year as well as in the smaller size ones -- honestly not sure what the volume is. The extra large ones have to be close to standard half-whiskey barrel capacity. Both sizes worked pretty well, but I have to say that the extra large worked better. They were more productive -- and not just because I could plant more in them, the plants just did better. But, again, if you have space only for the smaller standard sized bags, they worked pretty well.

o

Thank you....so does 3-4 seed potatoes in a 10 gal sound right?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here