Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planted broccoli, cabbage, when to harvest?

Posted by tammyinwv z6/WV (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 16:54

I am trying to figure out this part of succession planting. I just planted out my 1 mo old small broccoli Primero (72 days), and early Jersey Wakefield cabbage (60-75 days). i have never grown these before.I am hoping that since they are about 30 days old, that means they have roughly 30-40 more days to harvest. I am hoping to be able to harvest and pull up before i have to put my tomatoes out around May 10 or slightly after. Is this correct,o way off base? I am trying to get as much as possible out of my raised beds.
Tammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planted broccoli, cabbage, when to harvest?

Here brocolli and cabbage is done in mid summer, july 15th or so.
I get spinich or mustard green done before tomatoes and peppers. Those numbers on the seed pks are from the time you plant out not from seed.

o

wow, I didnt know that, makes more sens eit would be from time germinated or sown. i guess I will have to figure out soemthing to do with mine then, because they wont be done till early july, and I was planning on putting my tomatoes in these beds.
Tammy

o

Agree that you will find that DTM on them is from the day of transplanting when transplants are used, not the day the seed is planted.

I know that is the case for EJ Wakefield. I plant it out Mar. 15 here and it is ready for harvest end of May into early June although it can go longer depending on weather.

Never grown that variety of broccoli but the DTM rule holds true for most vegetables when transplants are used.

Dave

o

Thanks Dave, thats good to know. I wont be able to put out my tomatoes till Mid May, so maybe I can still work them in, since the cabbage etc would be ready to pull shortly after.

Could I have planted out the cabbage around end of march then since you planted out mid march? we have only had about a total of 6" of snow this winter, and its been in the 70's the last 2-3 weeks. this weeks lows are expected to be 63,40,38,41,46.
Tammy

o

It looks like you are heading for a June harvest or late May with the broccoli. You probably could have set out plants at the end of March if the weather has warmed some. Broccoli and cabbage are tender to heavy frost and freezing until the roots get established. You can tell when roots are established because the plants are growing after transplant.

o

I grow fast-maturing broc and cabbage in spring, and it's ready in June from early April transplanting.

I often have seedlings waiting to go into the ground until another crop is harvested. Tomatoes will hold in containers for quite a long time.

In my garden, the first big turnover of space comes in late June, when early garlic and cabbage are harvested. I don't plant anything where tomatoes will be planted in May.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here