Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purple1701

Second guessing watering??

purple1701
10 years ago

First time gardener here. I've read a whole bunch about watering needs, I know that while the "one inch a week" is an approximate some plants may need more, especially in hot weather. I even made a list of which plants I have and what they will need, and did some (or plan to do) companion planting based on hydration needs.

Week before last we had torrential downpours to tune of over 4 inches, and then last week we got a little over 1/2 an inch, but temperatures did not even hit 70. I did some watering on Sunday, but haven't yet determined the gallons per minute on my hose to do so accurately.

Now, hubby has me questioning whether or not to water more. It was almost 80 yesterday, over 80 today and will be tomorrow, and then going to get more rain and lots of it, for the rest of the week.

The ground does look a bit dry on top, and even cracked in some places, and I haven't had a chance to check deeper down to see if it's still moist.

For reference, what I have in the ground so far is:
kennebec potatoes
onions (white bulbs/sets)

seeds planted in ground:
peas (don't know what kind)
kohlrabi (early white vienna)
iceberg lettuce
loose leaf lettuce blend (burpee heat wave or something like that I think?)
beets (detroit red I think)

seeds sprouted in baggies then put in ground:
basil
marigolds (crackerjack mix and petites)
lavender
shasta daisies

Any advice would be appreciated. Even if it's just to point me to a resource that would be fine. There's lots of general info but this is pretty specific...

If there is a better forum to ask in, I'm happy to go there. FYI my local extension wasn't very helpful either lol.

This post was edited by purple1701 on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 17:14

Comments (5)