Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

When to quit cutting asparagus?

catherinet
14 years ago

Hi all,

We used to stop cutting too soon in the season, so I'm cutting more now. But how do I know when to stop and let it grow?

Thanks

P.S. This is an old bed

Comments (13)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

4 weeks is the usual time frame. Or until the majority of the new shoots are just pencil thick. The 4 week limit has always worked well for us with our old beds.

Dave

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    14 years ago

I've always heard 6-8 weeks. I do 6.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So the thinness of the stalks is a good indicator?
    If I have some that have come up from the start thin, does that mean that individual plant is struggling, and maybe I shouldn't cut those particular ones at all this year?

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

If I have some that have come up from the start thin, does that mean that individual plant is struggling, and maybe I shouldn't cut those particular ones at all this year?

No, it just means it is a stalk from a newer part of the ever expanding crown. Just let any pencil-thin stalks go to fern and harvest only the thicker stalks. If you see nothing but pencil-thin stalks or a heavy majority of them feed the bed an extra feeding as that can be a signal that the bed is low on nutrients.

Dave

• catherinet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone!

• skagit_goat_man_
    14 years ago

I stop cutting spears when they start becomming less than 1/2" in diameter. In a 11 yr old bed this is about 7 weeks of cutting. Tom

• catherinet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks sakgit goat man,
    Okay here's another question, sort of the reverse. We have another bed that we planted 2 years ago. I heard that we shouldn't cut much from that bed until maybe next year. But this year, its putting out a bunch of really thick stalks.
    Does the thickness indicate that its doing so good that we should feel okay about cutting more of them?

• catherinet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm bumping this up, since it went to the 2nd page. I'm hoping I'll get one more answer to my last question.
    Thanks!

• hercules
    14 years ago

Everyone I know follows the guidelines published by (among others) Jersey Asparagus Farms. They are:

- 2 weeks the second season
    - 4 weeks the third season
    - 6 to 8 weeks the fourth and following years

Additionally, cut everything larger than a pencil. When 3/4 of the emerging spears are smaller than this, stop. Harvesting in this manner actually encourages growth.

This has worked nicely for me for 8 seasons, and the bed today is very, very productive.

Hope this is helpful.

Hal in PA

• skagit_goat_man_
    14 years ago

I cut everything 1/2" diameter or larger. The early years will not have a lot of these but nothing's hurt by cutting them. Since different crown spacing affects the spear size I'll note that mine are 12" oc. Tom

• catherinet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks hercules and skagit goat man!
    I really appreciate your help.

• hercules
    14 years ago

catherinet:

You're quite welcome. It's always nice when a poster makes the effort to acknowledge those trying to help a little. So, thank you, too!

Best wishes for a happy, healthy 'gus bed...hopefully for many years to come!

Hal in PA

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?