Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for old fashioned green bean taste

Posted by tdunevent GA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 17:43

I would like to plant some pole beans this year and I'm looking for suggestions. The ones that I purchase from my grocer or farmer's market do not taste like I remember them tasting as a kid. My mom has also said many times that the green beans she buys do not taste like they used to.

Can someone recommend a pole bean variety that will be a good producer and have a good flavor like I remember?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for old fashioned green bean taste

Well taste/flavor is both a personal thing and dependent on the growing conditions and soil provided so what is good old fashioned flavor to one will not be the to others. And you and I can both grow the same variety and they will taste different to us. When they are picked will also make a big difference in flavor.

The link below is to one of the many recent discussions about favorite pole beans and you'll find even more info over on the Beans forum here.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite pole bean discussion

o

Many green bean fans will say that the old-time "greasy" beans taste best, but I think the white half runners have it all -- vigor, great flavor, and they make fantastic "shelly" beans, where some immature beans are cooked with the snaps. I think that's where you get the best flavor, because the "pot liquor" created by the little beans enriches the broth. Mountaineer, White state half runners and others have flattish pods, and I think flat pod shape generally means meatier beans. The half-runners have strings, but because the pods are relatively short, the string usually come off with one pull. And don't be misled by the half-runner name; I've seen them run 10 feet.

o

Kentucky Wonder. That's my best bet for greenbean flavor. They do need stringing if the pods start getting big.

o

I think Kentucky Wonder has the best taste, but I don't grow them anymore cause I hate to string them. Also, most folks boil their beans in a couple of quarts of water. The old fashioned way is to simmer over very low heat with only a tiny bit of water to start. Then the beans cook out their own liquid. But it takes a lot longer to cook that way.

o

Here's a link to a site with many of those old fashioned beans. Bet you can find one you'd really like in Bill Best's listings.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Appalachian Beans

o

My family, subsistence farmers, all grew Kentucky Wonder. To get green beans to taste like my grandmother's one would have to add so much pork belly that some modern cooks would have a coronary just reading the recipe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here