Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cow Manure in Garden

Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 17:45

Hi folks,

I've been using composted horse manure in my garden for a number of years. This year the supply dried up. It was coming from the country fairgrounds, but with the "budget shortfalls" all over they cut their equestrian program back to almost nonexistence.

I have a couple dump truck loads of cow manure being delivered. Don't know if it's composted or will have to sit and meditate for a year or so. Haven't used cow manure since I was a kid growing up on the farm. Anything I should be reminded of about using it?

Thanks for your time,

Ev

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cow Manure in Garden

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 21:16

Not a lot of different to me.
I am using mostly horse manure now, but they are close when composted.
I use more coffee grounds & coffee waste, but it works the same after composting.
rabbit-N 2.4%, P-1.4%, K-0.6%
Hen- N 1.1%, P-0.8%, K-0.5%
Horse- N 0.7%, P-0.3%, K-0.6%
cow- N 0.6%, P-0.2%, K-0.5%
This is from Organic Garden Magazine.
I think you will be pleased with the compost from the cow manure, at least I am.

o

Other than the need to be composted well first as with all manures, I find no difference between using horse or cow except I get less weed seeds from cow manure.

Dave

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 21:52

Yes, one thing that happens to gardens that have been manured for a long time is that they develop an excess of P, and also K. Presumably most other minerals are in there in abundance, too, but if not, there will be chemical unbalances. It has happened to me and to others. In my case, wood ash may also have played a role. Although I see no diminished fertility, one of the gardens is now going to get only chemical N for a few years if not longer, plus some leaves to keep the worms churning.

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 9:53

Thanks for the responses!

Dave, that was what I was trying to remember, I also recall that with cow manure there are less weeds. Must be something about the number of stomachs and doing a better job of breaking down the forage. Certainly there is usually not a lot of difference in feed-with respect to hay or grazing?

THanks again!

Ev

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 18:52

Two dump truck loads of cow manure just delivered. Nice and composted. Guess I'll be putting the scoop on the back of one of the tractors and hauling it to the garden tomorrow.

Ev

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here