Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pole Beans in the garden...

Posted by fireduck 10a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 18:19

I have been looking for "Blue Lake" pole beans at my local nurseries. I have found ALL vegetable plants except pole beans. Since I read that pole beans do not transplant well....do most folks sow seeds directly into garden instead of buying plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pole Beans in the garden...

Yes. I've never heard of anyone buying the bean seedlings.
Just drop those bean seeds in the ground, and they do just fine.

o

I see bean plants (6 packs) for sale and chuckle! For the $2 for a 6 pack, I can buy the seed for many many many more plants!
Actually I either save some or go to the local seed exchange and have them for free! Nancy

o

I've seen both pea and bean seedlings for sale around here. There isn't any advantage to buying them though. Just direct seed them. They sprout and grow quickly.

Rodney

o

OK...I will do what you guys say, and buy seeds. Sometimes the problem with being a crazy/obsessed gardener is: you can be very dialed in on some crops...but a rookie at another unrelated crop. Thanks for the heads up.

o

Home Depot and Lowes have them.

o

Pole bean transplants make sense under some circumstances, but not if you only intend to grow snap beans.

Bean transplants are helpful when:
- Growing beans for dry seed in a short-season area. They give you a cushion if weather prevents planting on time, and can increase the dry seed yield before frost.
- Growing limas or yardlong beans, if they are "iffy" in your area. This overcomes cool-soil germination issues, and gaining even a week or two can be the difference between success or failure.
- Planting old bean seed, since you can maintain perfect soil temperature, and make every plant count.

Transplants make absolutely no sense for bush beans, since the yield per plant is so low... unless you are way up North.

o

Gee.......I've never in my life seen bean seedlings for sale. Maybe that's because I'm not usually looking real early in the season at stores. And how quickly the seeds sprout can be pretty variable.....depending on the temp/rain, etc.
Hmmmm.........I'm really surprised there are bean seedlings.
I've found that waiting until the weather is a bit warmer and dryer makes up for lost time when planting them early.

o

In some climates beans are regularly transplanted. If you have cool springs like us it isn't warm enough for beans to germinate until well into early Summer. So I start some beans early in my glazed porch. Then again some more a few weeks later and finally some direct outside. This means that the beans are a range of ages and we don't get a glut coming all at once.

o

My comment about beans sprouting quickly was made assuming that they are being planted in warm soil and that fairly fresh seed was being used (as in 1 to 3 years old).

Rodney

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here