Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthworm73

Liquid seaweed fertilizer

earthworm73
14 years ago

This morning I found a bottle of Neptune Harvest Fish and Seaweed extract at my local grocery store's nursery section. Of course I bought it. Can anyone share their experience with using seaweed products in their garden? I looked at the photos on their website and while I am impressed I am always wary of self promotion.

Comments (18)

• llaz
    14 years ago

I have used it for many seasons and I think it works well. The company is not far from where I live, so I originally bought it to support a local business. Now it's part of my routine. I use it diluted when starting from seed and in the holes when I transplant seedlings and latter as side dressing. Using things from the sea to enrich gardens has a long history here in coastal Massachusetts and this company was just enterprising enough to bottle it.

• joejarvis
    14 years ago

But oh how it smells.

• cgiglio01
    14 years ago

Yes, it does smell when I use it on my seedlings indoors! But I mostly use it outside in the garden every 2 weeks (1/4 - 1/2 cup to 2 gallon watering can) as a fertilizer. It's the only fertilizer I use during the growing season and I get loads of happy healthy vegetables. You can also use it as a foliar spray and as an added bonus it keeps the deer from eating!

• jimster
    14 years ago

If someone has a supply of seaweed, can they make their own liquid fertilizer? How?

Or is it best to just apply the seaweed directly to the garden? Or compost it?

There are many kinds of seaweed. Are all of them good for fertilizer or just certain kinds?

Too many questions?

Jim

• lisazone6_ma
    14 years ago

I've used this stuff for years - I swear by it! The first year I used it I swear I got the biggest harvest of tomatoes I've ever gotten. My plants were HUGE.

It do stink tho! :)

Lisa

• nc_crn
    14 years ago

The high P content leads me to believe there might be ground up shellfish in this, too.

It's pretty balanced (and expensive, as par) for an organic fertilizer.

• earthworm73
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yesterday my tomatoes appeared stressed because they needed to be watered. After being outide for a few hours hardening off I brought them inside and watered with the fish/seaweed solution. I put them back under the growlights and I left for work. This morning when I return home from work I checked on them and OMG they really really perked up! Plus I swear they grew half inch to an inch in just 12 hours! I'm not kiddin. I had never seen them this perky. I can't wait to use them on my other veggies and lawn. Those testimonials on their website must be true.

• nc_crn
    14 years ago

Well don't get carried away. It's just pricey fertilizer.

You can get the same effects synthetically and with the addition of an enzyme/bacteria/etc. supplement for far cheaper.

Still, the stuff is good soil charger and a decent organic fertilizer.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Ok!
    where do they get "SEAWEED FERTILIZER"?
    From seaweed I think!

What if you just to make your own? here is how(just a suggestion):
    If there are any Asiam grocery/maket near you, buy some of the cheapest seaweed, grind it in your coffee mill, Voilla!
    Either work it into soil or soak it and then apply.

Any comments?

I am going to Farmers Market.

Talk to you later(hehe)
    Cyrus

• roper2008
    14 years ago

I use Neptune's fish and seaweed. You can order
    directly from the company on the internet. I bought
    a 5 gallon bucket last spring. If your garden is
    fairly big, it's cheaper that way. I'm still using
    the same 5 gallons this summer, maybe even next summer.

• earthworm73
    Original Author
    14 years ago

roper,what were your results after use?

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

OK!
    As I said in my previous post, I went to an Asian market and found the least expensive seaweed, $$/Lb.
    I bought a package of 2.2 lbs for 10 bucks.
    I came back and ground about half a pound in my coffee mill.
    I really powdered it. I also cooked some for dinner.It was OK. But I am going to use it as fertilizer, so taste and food quality does not matter.

I wonder How much a 5 gal of the Neptun stuff costs and
    what are the NPK numbers. Or better yet, does anybody know what are general nutrient characteristics of seaweed?

Anyway, I am stuck with ten bucks of worth dried seaweed anyway.

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

I wonder How much a 5 gal of the Neptun stuff costs and
    what are the NPK numbers.

In the case of their seaweed only product it is 0-0-1. Seaweed generally isn't used as a fertilizer. It's more about the other stuff in it that may or may not be of any benefit to the soil/plants.

• roper2008
    14 years ago

My tomato plants did wonderful, hardly any blight. The only
    problem was some kind of critter was eating some of them.
    I really like Neptune's harvest and It's organic. The 5 gal. bucket
    cost $125.50 shipping and handling included.

• sandysgardens
    14 years ago

I've never used store bought liquid seaweed fertilizer but have been using the real stuff for years up at the cabin. We clear out lots of seaweed every spring from our shoreline. I pile it up and it let it dry out a bit and then spread between my plants. It then decomposes over the summer into the soil. Once it's dry there is no real odor to speak of. There's usually a pile remaining so I let it sit there all summer and through winter. By spring I have some real nice mulch/soil admendment to dig into my gardens. I bring it home and till it into the veggie garden.

I'm going to have to make some liquid tea out of the fresh stuff this spring!

• never-give-up
    14 years ago

jimster I use seaweed as is--In the compost, as a layer in the lasagna beds and in the garden. I just rinse it to get some of the salt off first. If you use it in the compost or as a layer in the lasagna garden make it a thin layer and cover it with another layer so it won't dry out or get slimey. If you put it in the garden, again use a thin layer and turn it under.

2 problems: Don't let it sit over night if you have deer as they will eat it. MY brother covered his garden without washing it or turning it under and it was gone in the morning. Lots of hoof prints. We figured it was the salt.

Check to see the laws in your area for harvesting. Here we are only allowed: 50 lbs per person, per day, or we have to get a license. We can only have the loose stuff or if it is attached to the rock we have to leave x amount of inches attached.

As I understand it seaweed contains several useful plant nutrients, including nitrogen, potassium, phosphate and magnesium. Also it is a good amendment to the soil similar to manure.

I can tell you that all the different patches of our gardens that got the seaweed last year produced very well.

As I understand it different varieties of seaweed contain different nutrients. I thought about making my own liquid fertilizer last year. I changed my mind after some study. It seemed like a better use of it to get both the nutrients and the soil improvement by using the whole thing.

• zebraman
    14 years ago

I live at the beach and it washes up on the beach at high tide. I can pick up all I want. I use it mainly for trace minerals and mix with compost. I noticed yesterday that there were several varieties of seaweed I haven't seen before.-

• hummersteve
    8 years ago

I use the maxicrop and and can vouch for it . I start a lot of cuttings inside over winter. Every 10-14 days I drench the pots with it and the leaves stay green all winter. It is not a fertilizer but it has lots of nutrients/minerals the plant can use. It seems to make a difference. Outside you most likely need to use it more often like at least once a week.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional