Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beans --- to soak, or not to soak?

Posted by macers 8b/10 (macievega@gmail.com) on
Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 18:42

Just finished tilling and amending my bean bed.

Do you soak your bean seeds before planting?

The package says to, but I read elsewhere maybe it isn't the best idea. Mine have been soaking since last night (oops) so I hope they are ok.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beans --- to soak, or not to soak?

I don't soak beans. Two years in a row when I soaked them they came up very deformed, and not all lived after that... From other point, when I do not soak, I have to double the seeds to make sure I have as many as I want. Not all come up a t all, but ones that come up - healthy and strong.

o

I have had so many problems with beans over the years that I have now gone to starting them in dividers and transplanting them. I think it is my soil as I didn't have problems in the previous 2 places I lived (been here for 21 years.) Too wet, compacted, too cold, root maggots, fungus rot, etc., etc.

I don't bother to do this indoors, just when it's warm enough on the deck. I do keep a clear plastic cover on until they are all up.

The dividers are 2" squares. Just about 2 weeks after planting, they lift right out and get planted about 3-4" deep. This also helps them stay upright through wind and rain. Plants are 12" apart with no skippers! They could go closer if the space is needed.

o

I've done it both ways, but it's the warmth of the soil that is the deciding factor.
Come April 15th (Last day of frost in our area), I get very antsy and want everything planted and growing AT ONCE! So I usually go through a few more seeds than I need to, replanting if something isn't popping up within a week! LOL
I don't have a soil thermometer, but I'm putting off planting my beans for a couple of weeks this year. I also have to build a new bean structure. Nancy

o

I read somewhere that the biggest danger of soaking seeds is them not getting enough oxygen, because we forget they are actually alive and we're kickstarting their metabolism. So for big seeds a big amount of water and frequent stirring are good. Or, I do like happens in my sprouter and cover them with water for several minutes then drain and leave in a bowl or pot with a lid, keeping them moist but exposed to air. The older the seed, the drier it tends to be, so I only soak older beans, like 2-3 year old seed, not ones purchased this year.

o

Thanks everyone!

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 11:38

The problem with soaking is that soaked beans in cold soil will die. Soaked beans in warm soil will do well. Unless your soil is bone dry sand, it is always more prudent to plant them dry. That will give them a little more leeway about when to sprout.

o

Sometimes they split when you soak them. I suggest not to do it.

--McKenzie

o

I always soak and always have beautiful beans. When I haven't they take much longer to germinate. THey are large seeds. But I don't actually "soak" I place in a plastic zip top bag between wet towels until I see sprouts..

o

What Mindyw3 suggests seems like a good idea to me. I will try that next time I plant beans.

--McKenzie

o

I just germinated a tray of various beans tonight. I set all if the beans out to soak this morning, so they soaked for about 12 hours. After I put them in the tray I set the tray on a seed heating mat. This is my first time trying this method. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here