Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I pull up tomato plant - a dud??

Posted by julia42 8b/9a Houston (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 19, 11 at 18:49

This is my first spring with a garden, and it's been going pretty great so far. I planted four tomato plants the first week of February and two about 3 weeks later. So far, five of the six have set tons of fruit and are looking just fabulous. The last one seems to be the runt of the litter. It was one of the last two I planted and it just hasn't gotten very big - a few blooms this week, but I don't see anything setting. It has a few lightly spotted leaves at the base and I'm thinking of just pulling it up. What would you do? I'm a little worried that if it's stressed it will be more susceptible to disease and get all my healthy plants sick too. It's an Heirloom Pineapple, if that makes a difference. I'm particularly fond of those, but willing to make the sacrifice for my others...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I pull up tomato plant - a dud??

From your description, if it were in my garden I'd yank it like a rotten tooth. Leaving the additional soil and sunshine for the remaining productive plants. Especially if your plants are at all crowded, shading each other, or have root competition. But that's just me. Most folks around here would be more sentimental about it.

o

Lightly spotted leaves are not a good thing. Could be a disease like Septoria or early blight. Pull it before it infects the rest.

o

Thanks folks. You've pretty much confirmed my own thoughts. It's gone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here