Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pollinating squash by hand

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 18:53

I tried to grow squash last year; little immature fruits appeared on the female plants, but unfortunately shriveled up and died due to lack of pollination.

People have suggested pollinating by hand, however when should I do this? I was told that for squash plants and melon plants, the males blossoms always appear before
the female blossoms is this true?

Also I was told if you overcrowd the plants, that you'll get more male blossoms than female blossoms? The other question I have in regards to that is if you overcrowd the plants, are the immature fruit more likely to die, due to putting stress on the plant, or is it simply because of lack of pollination, or is it a combination of the two?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pollinating squash by hand

Here is a link to the FAQ here on how to hand pollinate squash. It answers all your questions except the over-crowding. Yes overcrowding stresses the plants but it does not increase the odds of self-pollination. So yes it is a combination of both.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash pollination FAQ

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 21:23

Do you have a native bee habitat near your garden?
You can pick one up at a garden center or though a seed catalog.
I made one out of bamboo shorts with one half inch holes in the bamboo. Cut the 5/8 dia. bamboo about 6-8 inches long.
Leave the natural partition in the middle, with each end open, so the bees can nest.
Tie the bamboo in bundles of 20 or so.

o

• Posted by grant_zz USDA 10a / Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 21:58

i've found hand pollination easy and effective. at small scales. obviously its a hell of a lot of work if you're dealing with a lot of plants... bees, bees, wonderful bees... provide wildflowers and water and they will come.

o

hi there!

as a newbie last year, i found it pretty easy, and here's what i did:

once i figured out which were the male and female flowers (beautiful aren't they?), i realized that yes, the males came before the females.

so i snipped the male flowers and put them in a large zippy bag, no more than two per bag.

as soon as the females appeared and opened up, i'd grab a male from the fridge, pick or snip the petals off where the yellow met the green, leaving the 'tip' with all that glorious pollen.

then i'd 'tickle' the inside (the stamen??) of the female with the 'tip' of the male.

it worked EVERY TIME! and i noticed that the more pollen i covered the female with, the quicker and bigger the fruit was - could have just been a coincidence!

good luck and i really hope this helps!

o

kawaiineko_gardener They say a picture says a thousand words. I hope you find this link helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash & Pumpkin Pollination

o

Even better yet how about a video? I know the video is of a winter squash. However summer squashes are the same except that the female ovum may not be as large. Its still noticeably different than the male though as seen in the pictures in the link in my previous post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening How-To: Pollinating Winter Squash

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here