Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark1984_gw

Serious help needed (Bush beans)

Mark1984
11 years ago

Ive been gardening religiously for about 3 years now . The first year I had an awesome harvest but since I have had some serious trouble with the beans . One week and a few days ago I planted about 10 rows oh Blue Lake , October , and Cow pea ) The seedlings that re emerging are very spaced apart and some of the seed pods are opening with no leaves with other emerging with no pod at all , just the stem . I originally though rabbits or deer , and even though I did see deer tracks one night I have not seen any since and there are still plants emerging the same way . There has also not been any rabbit manure that I have found and have not seen any rabbits around so far . So I started investigating and dug around a little in my rows . I found seedlings that had a healthy looking root system but the pods themselves were rotten . Also in a number of them I found tiny white worms . Obviously they are boring into my beans after I planted them . So Im thinking cutworms , root maggots , or both . Im not sure how to go about eradication as last year I just gave up on beans altogether . Everything else in my garden is coming up fine and looks very healthy and as far as I know has not problems with any type of soil dwelling insect . First question is what is eating my seeds before the emerge and secondly how do I get rid of them ?

P.S. I do rotate all my crops every year and this particular garden area has never been used before this year .

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting