Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time Between Liming and Fertilizing

Posted by plantinellen 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 19:17

I am slowly wresting a vegetable bed from our side yard -- an area that was originally part of a swampy woodland, and that has acid soil. Last year I had a basic garden; this year I plan to divide the space into French raised beds (in fact, I already made a raised bed for my garlic, which is doing beautifully.)

I limed the soil last year, and amended the soil with crabshell fertilizer as well, but when I raked the leaves off the soil this spring I noticed moss trying to grow on the shadier end of the garden, where I want to grow lettuce, greens and other veggies that don't need long hours of sunshine.

So I bought more lime -- the pelletized, less harsh variety -- and spread some lime on the soil today, then cultivated it under.

How long do I need to wait to complete making my beds and planting? I was told that you shouldn't add fertilizer at the same time as lime.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time Between Liming and Fertilizing

Liming is a reactive application. The reaction time is influenced by moisture, the lime chemical composition (calcium and magnesium %) and the fineness of the applied lime. The finer the grind, the faster the reaction.

Ferilizer application is dependant on its form, the soil moisture and temperature. The more soluble the fertilizer, the more readily available the nutrients are to plants. The latter should guide your application of fertilizer to periods of the plant growth cycle. Nitrogen fertilizer is the most likely to leach since the most mobile.

Lime is most often applied in the fall to permit the reaction time for adjustment of the pH to match the planting time.

Fertilizer application is timed during plant growth. Again, the more soluble, the wider your application of the total application over the entire growing season; thus reducing losses by leaching.

Your soil type (sand,silt or clay) also influences lime reaction and fertilizer retention. The higher your clay component, the faster the lime reaction, and the better the P & K compnents are immobilized.

The offered link is from Kentucky but the science is the same.

Here is a link that might be useful: When to Apply Lime & Fertilizer

o
RE: Time Between Liming and Fertilizing

Lime takes a long time to work its way into the soil and have any affect. Even hydrolyzed. Which is why it is usually added in the fall. The usual recommendation is to wait 30-60 days before adding fertilizer for there to be any benefit and to avoid wasting the fertilizer.

But if you can't wait that long to fertilize just go ahead and add it now and the current soil pH from last year's lime may allow at least some benefit to the plants.

For the best results, you really need to have your soil professionally tested to determine what you are really working with. Check with your local county ag extension office for test availability in your area.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here