Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how do you trellis yard long beans?

Posted by zackey GA 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 19:30

I have some yard long beans that I want to start soon from seeds. How do you trellis yours? Can I train them to go up the side of the tress and then down the other side?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how do you trellis yard long beans?

I wonder what you mean about training them to go up the side of trees. Do you mean live trees or do you mean saplings cut down and used to make tripods? I would not advise training beans on lrees. They will not grow well in shade or among roots of a tree.

I make a free-standing trellis about seven feet tall, which is about as high as I can reach for harvesting. The bean stalks will grow taller that that and just flop over the top and hang down, which is fine.

See the link below for trellis ideas.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Bean Trellises

o

We use 10' long concrete reinforcing mesh leftover from a construction project. It's very rigid. First my husband pounds steel stakes in ground. Then, while I hold the panel is place, he attached the panel to the steel stakes in two places with heavy duty zip ties.

We can leave these up all winter. The yard long beans seem to do fine.I think the panels are 5' high.

o

I use 8-9 foot bamboo poles with the side branches left on, and insert them in a double row t form an "A" shape (well, an inverted "V" because there is nothing to link them together in the center).

Works great, because the side branches on the bamboo gives plenty of place for the vines to twist around.

o

Thanks for your advice! I will try and find some tall bamboo stakes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here