Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nightnurse21

What we have planted for 2010

nightnurse21
14 years ago

We can post what we have planted so far and keep tract on how they are doing and if we can get pics and compare notes that would be cool

Comments (17)

• nightnurse21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Live in the caribbean and our varieties are much different from other countries,it may come close to the ones in the UK but i'm not too sure.

So far I've planted"

TOMATOES
    SPINACH
    LETTUCE
    BELL PEPPER
    HOT PEPPER (CAPSICUM)
    SWEET CORN
    STRING BEANS
    POTATOES
    PUMPKIN
    WATERMELON

Have some flowers but dont want to post them in the forum unless asked,dont have a camera but will soon be able to get some pics soon

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    14 years ago

Up here in the Midwest I have planted:
    pok choy
    lettuce
    spinach
    potatoes
    onions
    carrots
    beets
    sugar snap peas
    broccoli
    cabbage
    sweet corn

Also planted in containers:
    sweet bell peppers
    tomatoes
    watermelon

All things are doing nicely. I plan on several more plantings of corn, another of melons, sweetpotatoes, squash, green limas, green beans, and fall plantings later on.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Those of our garden pals who are in zones 6 and lower are busy planting
    cool crops like lettuce, spinach, carrots, beets.. so forth.
    but for those of us in zones 7, 8, 9, ... cool season is over and we are
    busy like bees planting tomatoes, peppers, squash,...beans, the stuff
    that love warm even hot weather.
    All of my bok choys, napa, radishes bolted. But still have some lettuce.
    So I am working on 10 kinds of tomatoe, same number of peppers(sweet and hot),
    six kinds of beans, some squash, cukes and wtermelons. O' not to forget OKRA and tomatillo, for the first time.

• nancyjane_gardener
    14 years ago

Cyrus, I'm planting the same as you except for the okra.
    I'm trying tomatillas for the first time, but heard that you need 2 plants to cross fertalize. True?

• katykelly_gw
    14 years ago

planted last fall:

spinach
    french grey shallots

planted this spring:

broccoli rabb
    3 kinds of cabbage
    lettuces
    aruglas
    cress
    2 kinds of endive
    carrots
    tuscan kale
    swiss chard
    red onions from seed
    yellow onion from sets

stuff started from seed and waiting for good weather:

toms
    hot and sweet peppers
    tobacco for cigars for hubby

I'll be doing a fall garden, also.

• heather38
    14 years ago

Hi NightNurse, I am a nurse also and from the UK, so I am interested in variety's you use, I watched a documentary on the BBC about people's roots literal and vegetable, and they had Lenny Henry (PBS Chef) his mum was from the Caribbean and the stuff she grew in the industrial Midland's of the UK was amazing, stuff I am not even sure I really understand.
    I digress, I too am using what I know and throwing in some American (I say American as until I moved here, to my embarrassment, I hadn't eaten before, or still haven't, my bad! I missed out.
    So the new to me in America, most I had heard of and knew just never eaten.
    Swiss Chard still haven't tasted
    Pumpkin or Punkin as my children call it!, was that London calling :-)
    spaghetti squash, still haven't tasted
    beet green's I put that as I didn't know you could eat the green til last year and they are lovely, I had tasted beetroot before.
    Cantaloupe still haven't tasted
    blueberry
    sugarsnap peas?? think that's the one's, as in you eat the pod and the peas inside but they aren't flat?
    Sunflower Russian mammoth, can you eat the seeds in this one?
    Tomerillio, I never hear of these till last year, and a friend Facebooked "Tomerillio season" and seriously I thought he was talking about a animal :-) sadly this is the only thing that if I am unsuccessful I will be upset as I brought the seeds on his recommendation, 3 weeks before he died in an accident at 41, so they have a heavy investment.
    onward
    Taste of home.
    Purple sprouting broccoli
    Runner Beans ( that one is odd, as it is native of New England, not well known in these parts I live in NE?)
    vegatable Marrow, a summer squash, I hear people call over grown Zuke's Marrow, but they are different beasts.
    Potatoes. this a bit odd but I miss new potatoes as in white pots, without a proper skin, sort of like paper, rub's off easily.
    mixed leaf lettuce
    baby carrot's just like the pot's, you just can't seem to buy them.
    My thinking on baby pot's and carrots is, until you live in America, you don't actually understand how big it is, so transport of food is epic, so these would be so expensive the price would be prohibitive, and the few local farms to me, need to make money on their stands so just not cost effective either.
    others
    Toms,
    Pepper
    Eggplant
    Peas
    broccoli
    cabbage
    onions
    garlic
    and a whole lot of herbs
    I have the tiniest veg patch, but each raised bed has room to sprawl at the edge, or go up.
    can't wait till the last frost date to get out the heat lovers, ( 10 day forecast and all that first of course)
    happy times.

• bomber095
    14 years ago

Checking in from south central Mass.

So far, I've planted broccoli, snow peas, shell peas, beets, romaine lettuce, and turnips. I've started summer squash and watermelon

Tomorrow, I'm headed to the nursery to pick up some cauliflower starters, and to Home Depot to get a couple more 10" deep flower boxes for the two varities of carrots I'll be sowing in a few weeks

I still need cukes, three varieties of tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and anything else I've got the money left for :-D

• nightnurse21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I also have some

PIGEON PEAS
    OKRA

BROADLEAF THYME
    PARSLEY
    THYME (yet to come up)
    CHIVES(A few here but new ones yet to come up)
    CUCUMBER (planting today)
    SWEET BASIL (planting today)
    GARLIC
    BAYLEAF(Tree has been here for a while now)

• katykelly_gw
    14 years ago

I forgot radishes and herbs.

• organicislandfarmer
    14 years ago

so I put my pics on the other post I started called picture posting. Check em out I wont repost em here, but will post the updates in a couple of weeks.

• scarletdaisies
    14 years ago

I've got this out so far, and only half way done, mind you my rows are only 8 feet long squared around them with marigolds or herbs making a bunch of 10x10 plots:

potatoes
    Peas
    Anise

Marigolds
    Cherry Tomatoes
    Turnips and lettuces
    beets
    cabbage onions
    various herbs that have never sprouted yet

marigolds
    lettuces
    Yellow straight neck squash
    Money maker tomato
    pumpkins
    marigolds

various herbs not sprouted yet
    broccoli
    garlic
    spinach
    various herbs not sprouted accept 2 fennel plants

marigolds
    patty pan squash
    Sweet dumpling squash
    sorghum molasses seeds with marigolds
    cucumbers
    sorghum molasses seeds with marigolds

Sunflower fence, half planted needing some milk thistle to be planted in between.

Lots of work to go! Yesterday I cut down 4 little trees and umpteen brush with the pruners and bow saw! A lot of clearing and cutting about to go on!

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Nancyjane ,

The belief that you have to have more than one TOMATILLO, plant is not shared and experienced
    by many. And there is no solid professional opinion about that.
    Tomatillo has perfect and self-pollinating flowers just like tomatoes and
    there are no separate male or female plants or flowers. To experiment this
    I have just planted one to verify it. My tomatillo has alredy one flower and several buds on it.
    I will find out soon.
    My guess is that it might be heat or lenght-of-daylight sensative. Therefore, will stop production due to those factors.
    There are some tomato varieties, like Brandywine, that will not produce in heat
    and high humidity in the South but they do fine up North.

• nancyjane_gardener
    14 years ago

Thanks Cyrus. I've heard both ways, and growing a new vege has me a bit scared listening to the HUGE harvest some people have had!
    I think I'll just go with the one plant for this year. I still have to buy some and fiddle with recipes! LOL
    NT

• bluebirdie
    13 years ago

Now harvesting the spring planted cool season veggies: peas, brassica (gai long, sprouts, etc), swiss chard, bunching onion, cilantro, chamomile, etc.

The warm season ones that were planted: tomato, sweet peppers, hot peppers, eggplant, zukes, summer squash, cucumbers, luffa, gourd, amaranth, malabar spinach, beans, basil, pepper mint, perrila, culantro, etc. Lost a few cucumbers, luffa, peppers to the unusually late hail and cold rain. But there're plenty of seeds to replant. Some others are blooming now but may not bear fruit yet.

More to plant later when some fall/spring veggies are removed to render room.

• nightnurse21
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My Pics so far

SPINACH (was taken from neighbors cutting)What the African snails left

{{gwi:44415}}

OKRA

{{gwi:45417}}

TOMATO

{{gwi:45418}}

STRING BEANS

{{gwi:45419}}

More on next post

• nightnurse21
    Original Author
    13 years ago

SQUASH

{{gwi:45420}}

CHERRY TOMATOES

{{gwi:45421}}

PUMPKIN (winter squash

{{gwi:44420}}

PARSLEY (newly transplanted)

{{gwi:45422}}

More Still to come

• dianazone5
    13 years ago

I am in Indiana and I have planted
    Radishes
    Carrots
    Kohlrabi
    spinach
    bell peppers
    jalapeno peppers

Not much is in yet. Weather here has been strange (80 degrees on April 1, 55 today) and I am recovering from surgery, so everything that is in was put in by my boys.