Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

cat pee'd in veggie planter...will it kill me? ;-)

Lynn Nevins
12 years ago

So this is my first foray into veggie gardening. I put some seeds in a large planter and set it on the floor of my patio only caught my cat too late...he climbed on up and pee'd in the pot. (Now I know I have to keep the planter elevated!)

Anyway, I immediately flushed the soil with water. I guess a little cat pee isn't gonna 'kill me' right...once the veggies sprout and I eat them? I imagine there are probably plenty of farm-grown veggies that were er....'fertilized' by various animals no? ;-)

Comments (15)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Will it kill you? No. Will it even hurt you? No. Are there plenty of farm grown veggies that are fertilized by various animals? You betcha. :)

Dave

• Edymnion
    12 years ago

Yes, it will kill you unless you preform a purification ritual on it. The ritual will require the following items to complete:

1 large steel soup pot
    3 large potatoes, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    1 butcher's knife
    The cat that peed in your veggies

Prepare for the ritual by placing the chopped veggies and water in the pot to boil, then take the cat...

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok that was cute....

• emgardener
    12 years ago

I've heard some people pee in the their vegetable pots themselves, cheap fertilizer.

• elisa_z5
    12 years ago

My dog pees in my garden and on the plants all the time. His job as garden guard dog requires this (keeps deer away). It also requires that he eat all the baby bunnies that are in nests in the garden in the early spring.

My garden guard dog (this is my first try posting a photo -- hope it works!!!)

{{gwi:45424}}

• stuffradio
    12 years ago

Wish I had a dog that could pick beans for me!

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    12 years ago

Don't Eat The Yellow Dirt!

(if anyone likes Zappa)

• ltilton
    12 years ago

Nitrogen.

• RpR_
    12 years ago

Urine is sterile.

• thimbleberry
    12 years ago

My cat peed in some of my raised beds all winter and now none of my seeds will grow in it. There was a cloche over it and the cat found a way in and used it as a litter box all winter :(. Put spinach and lettuce in a month ago and not a single sprout while the same seeds grow well elsewhere. Wondering what to do, just water the heck out of it?

• Robbie3
    12 years ago

I love that this is a thread about a cat peeing in a planter and there is a picture of a guard dog.

SO cute!

LOVE the doggie! My Great Danes are useless. Scared of chipmunks. But their pee is worth its weight in gold for repelling critters.

But no, the pee won't hurt you. :)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Thimbleberry unless you talking about a really small raised bed or your cat is peeing pre-emergent weed killer the two things are probably not related. So what sized raised bed is this?

But yeah, IF the problem was caused by cat rather than 50 other possibilities then just turn the soil well and flush the bed out.

You don't indicate where you live but in some parts of the country leaving a soil bed fully enclosed in a clothe of some type all winter can cause all sorts of pathological bacterial and fungal growth in the soil.

Dave

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

If it is an unneutered Tom they can kill off small plants and cause brown patches on established shrubs. Not to mention the smell.

• chas045
    12 years ago

The only problem with the cat urine is that it might be concentrated in one spot and over fertilize that one area. I used to work in a microbiology lab and the chief used to take a few chrystals of urea from the lab and sprinkle them on the house plants he had growing there. The plants looked great.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!