Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucumber leaves yellowing

Posted by tadslc none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 19:51

Just planted my cucumber plants, all 2 of them, and they're both looking the exact same. Been searching for a answer but couldn't find one that matches my photo.

What's up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumber leaves yellowing

What zone are you in? Did you harden them off before transplanting them? It is still very cold in many parts of the country for cukes.

Also, they tend to do better direct seeded, they can be transplanted but in my experience the direct seeded ones do better.

The damage to me looks like it could be environmental... sunburn, windburn, excessive cold... this would be caused by setting them out without hardening them off first, or setting them out too early if you are not in warmer zone.

o

Im in zone 7, central Alabama

o

What have your night time temps been averaging? I'm further north but also zone 7 and I won't get my cukes going for at least a few weeks. You could give them some protection at night by covering them with an empty pot before the sun goes down and then removing it again in the morning so they don't cook during the day.

I would check with your local agricultural extension for the best dates to sow them in your area and consider direct sowing some seeds. Odds are, they will catch up and surpass your transplants.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 20:20

Well unless your weather there has been much better than for other folks in that area it is too early for cukes. That looks like a plant that wasn't hardened off and either got wind burned and possibly now has nitrogen burn on the leaf edges.

It might recover and if not there is still plenty of time to direct seed. As howel said they don't like being transplanted anyway. It gains you nothing and often kills the plant.

Dave

o

What is hardening?

o

Either sunburn or due to cold.

Cucumbers tend to get yellow like that in cold temperature but as it warms up new growth should be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here