Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe1980_gw

Sugar snap pea germination

Joe1980
12 years ago

I planted "super sugar snap" peas from Burpee 14 days ago, here in SE Wisconsin. Although early, it has been unusually warm this spring, which made me plant a bit early. I followed all directions on the package, as always. My concern is that there are only a few sprouts popping up now, maybe 3 or 4, and I planted about 48 seeds. The ones that are up are no more then 1" tall. The package says 7-14 days. I realize the soil is a bit cool yet, but at what point do I decide that they aren't coming up, and replant?

For what it's worth, ALL of my kohlrabi seeds are up, and they were in about 10 days. I planted them at the same time.

Joe

Comments (8)

• stuffradio
    12 years ago

If you can afford to, wait. It took a month for my snap peas to germinate last year because of the cool temperatures. In the summer time, I'd start getting peas popping up in 2 or 3 days tops. That's to be expected though. (My Summer time temps are a lot cooler than say, Texas)

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    12 years ago

Be patient a little longer, the days to germinate are only approximate. If it helps, peas and most other seeds first send down a root before sending up a shoot. So even though you don't see anything happening, a lot can be going on beneath the surface. I think you just have very cool soil, since 10 days is a long wait for a brassica (your kohlrabi) to germinate, they will pop in one night at room temperature while peas can take a few days at room temperature. I would worry more if you go another week and no more peas come up at all. Cheers!

• desperado28
    12 years ago

I had some early in the season that took 2 weeks +. I agree with waiting

• Joe1980
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I checked today and several more are popping up, so wait I shall! It is just so frustrating because I was chompin at the bit all winter to get rolling in my garden, and once it got warm, I went nuts, only to be sitting here waiting. Thanks for the replies!

Joe

• Belgianpup
    12 years ago

You wait all winter for spring.

When spring comes slowly, you wait for the soil to warm up a bit.

Then you wait for the last frost day.

Then you're in a flurry of trying to get everything done at once.

Once they're growing, you have to make sure they're getting enough water, and keep on top of the weeds.

Then things start ripening and you have to start harvesting so they'll keep producing.

The big harvest hits, and you're working like a demon.

Then you're trying to get everything in before the first good frost.

Then there's a lull... and then the seed catalogs arrive and you're waiting impatiently for the snow to melt.

Hey, are we slow learners or WHAT???

Sue

• planatus
    12 years ago

The best is yet to come. I plant peas early because I can, but then I plant some more when the weather really settles down in late April. The second planting grows faster and stronger than the first, time after time. Save room for more.

• gardendrivenlife
    12 years ago

I feel your frustration. Had the same experience the last couple of years and tried the presprouting; and I'm very pleased. I used a take home soup container from the chinese restuarant and soaked the seeds for a couple minutes then drained it. Put the lid back on most of the way. Did this 2-3 times a day. Kept it by the kitchen sink.First you'll get the root, then the sprout, then plant.If you're doing a whole lot, the planting may take a little longer, but I'm not frustrated! :)