Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chaman_gw

11 Month old Pepper plant

chaman
16 years ago

I had saved one pepper plant from last summer's garden.It is now 11 months old and I intend to grow as perenial plant.I will appreciate any information about developing a perenial pepper plant.After taking in sun room for over wintering it flowered once.Pollination was done by rubbing Q-tips from one flower to another.

Pic. of 11 month old pepper plant.

{{gwi:45918}}

Comments (9)

• ralleia
    16 years ago

Pollinating the pepper plant with Q-tips is overkill. Peppers and tomatoes are not bee-pollinated, so all you need do (if anything at all) is to give the flowering plants a tap around noontime. I brought in four pepper plants last fall (all over a year old by now), and though I rarely even did this, I had more peppers than I could use this winter. Granted, I wasn't making stuffed peppers or the like.

Flowering didn't occur the first month indoors (perhaps due to the potting process), but after that, flowering was continuous.

I don't think there is anything in particular you need to do to "perennialize" a pepper; nature has already made it so. All you have to do is keep it alive, same as any other perennial plant.

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

Is it growing in just that plastic cup? If so, I think I would get it a bigger pot. ;) More likely to survive in something larger than that cup.

Dave

• jimster
    16 years ago

Chaman,

It looks as if you are using plastic cups to propagate the plants by air layering. Am I right?

I always am inspired by your pics. Perhaps, a year from now, I will have an overwintered chile pepper like yours. Thanks for posting.

Jim

• billinpa
    16 years ago

I have a thai chili plant that has grown it whole life indoors. Its going on 3 years old now. Does fine. Never pollinated it.

• aka_peggy
    16 years ago

I have a few chiles that I've wintered over for 2 years now. No pollination. These are kept in a sunny unheated room where the temp goes down to around 45 in the colder months.

• chaman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes Jim , You figured out it right.Plastic cups are used to propagate the pepper plant by air layering.

Dave, the plant is in the terri cotta color plastic pot.Plastic cups are for air layering.

I am glad to hear from fellow gardeners for their experience.Thanks every one for the input.

• westtexan
    16 years ago

Can someone explain to me what "air layering" is? Thanks!

• chaman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

westtexan,
    Air layering is one of the methods of plant propagation when a long enough branch is not available to burry in the ground for rooting.The method of burrying the branch in the ground is known as Ground Layering.
    A branch at a farther distance from the ground level covered in the soil enclosed in the burlap or a plastic cup for rooting is known as air layering.Same method is used to prpagate the plant from the stem when branches are not available for rooting as shown in the pepper plant I have posted.

• cowabunga1
    16 years ago

How interesting! I have never heard of "air layering". Doesn't the weight of the dirt in the cups cause the stalk to snap? How does it support that? Is there some other support that I'm not seeing?

~Sam