Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgillham

Pictures of seedlings

rgillham
16 years ago

Here are some pictures of some tomato seedlings and pepper seedlings. This is my first year with a real garden so I thought I would start some from seeds that have been purchased or saved from tomatoes and peppers. Please tell me what you think. and am I doing anything wrong.

Thanks

Shane

Spinach, Basil and flowers

{{gwi:45947}}

20 Habaneros and 20 Bell Pepper seedlings

{{gwi:45948}}

30 Jalapeño and 20 Bell Pepper

{{gwi:45949}}

Lighting Setup

{{gwi:45950}}

Rutgers and Cherry Super Sweet 100 (50 seedlings total) on 4-11-08

{{gwi:45951}}

Same Tomato seedlings on 4-6-08

{{gwi:45952}}

Comments (15)

• phantom_white
    16 years ago

Looks good!

Abby

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

Looking good! ;) Just be sure to strip off all those pellet nets before transplanting them.

Dave

• sirmac
    16 years ago

its unnecessary to remove the netting. Infact you'd be damaging the plant by removing the netting because the roots go threw them. I'd imagine if you REALLY wanted to remove the netting you'd have to transplant them young.

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

Hi sirmac - I think you will find that most all who use the pellets recommend removing the netting (lots of past discussions about it here) and it is quite easy to do. It simply tears away easily and does little if any harm to the plants. The pellet and roots remain intact but once planted the pellet is more easily incorporated into the surrounding soil with the net gone and the fibrous roots can more easily absorb water and nutrients.

The netting not only does NOT break down in the soil but actually restricts root development once transplanted. There have been photos posted here in the past of stunted plants pulled up at the end of the season with the netted peat pellet still intact and minimal roots on the plants.

Of course the ultimate choice is up to rgillham and to you ;) but as most who have used them will tell you, the advantages of removing it far outweigh any possible harm done in the process.

Dave

• granite
    16 years ago

Wow you must be planning a huge garden, that is a lot of tomato and pepper seedlings!

• rgillham
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not really a big garden, I will give away some plants when they are ready to family etc... I just figured some would die off and such. After reading some comments regarding the netting on the different forums I will be cutting the netting off. Thanks for the advice.
    Shane

• bdobs
    16 years ago

Very nice!
    With as many as ya got, you can pick the strongest little buggers for your garden

• thepodpiper
    16 years ago

Shane, I believe you had better start seperating those seedlings before they get to big or you will have problems with the roots getting tangled. You do not want that. Each pepper and tomato seedling should have thier own pot at that stage of growth. Here are a few of the seedlings I have these are all pepper seedlings.

Dale

{{gwi:45953}}

• macheske
    16 years ago

thepodpiper,
    Wish you could come by and repot my starts.... Looks like you do a great job! I figure I have to repot about 200 tomorrow. They need to go from 36's to 18's. Awww...that's not work, just fun. Alot better than doing the taxes!

• thepodpiper
    16 years ago

macheske, yes sometimes it does seem like alot of work but it is relaxing and I do enjoy it. I keep telling myself that I am not going to do it on such a large scale but I always end up doing more. I have 110 varieties of peppers with 389 plants and 15 varieties of tomatoes and 75 plants. they are all in the 4 in. pots now and doing very well.

• macheske
    16 years ago

Podpiper,
    Ok....if I did the math right you have 31 trays of seedlings! I need a picture of your lighting system. I have room for 8 trays though I think I'll make it 12 next year.
    Thanks,
    Rick

• thepodpiper
    16 years ago

macheske, actually they are in the 3 1/4 in. pots 18's here is a pic of my setup. In the top pic some of the seedlings are still in the 72,s and the bottom pic shows how i attached my fourth fixture so that I could turn the flats sideways to fit 4 per shelf. the first three fixtures are attached to the shelving.The shelves on the work bench is where the tomatoes are and to the far left on the work bench bhind the tackle box is more lights

Dale

{{gwi:45954}}

{{gwi:45955}}

• murkwell
    16 years ago

Clever use of the dowel to get even light to the edges.

• mrmulcher
    16 years ago

I impressed with that elaborate set-up you have there, very impressive thepodpiper what kind of electric bill are you having with all those lamps your plants look really healthy too. TWO THUMBS UP

• thepodpiper
    16 years ago

Thanks murky, it is actually a piece of cpvc way cheaper than wood dowels right now. LoL.

mrmulcher, thanks for the compliment. my wife tells me that it's going to put us in the poor house.

Dale

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!