Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbonez_gw

Frustrated - new to gardening

tbonez
12 years ago

I planted my garden about five days ago. Everything was looking great until today. I've been watering 15 to 20 minutes a day and everything was growing well. We had two nights of temps in the mid 30s (never had freezing weather and never saw frost on the ground..Everything is black today except the broccoli...How can an entire garden die in virtually a day?....Any ideas?

Comments (12)

• nancyjane_gardener
    12 years ago

My guess is the mid 30s did it! You don't always see that frost! Nancy

• ltilton
    12 years ago

The fact that the broccoli survived strongly suggests it was the frost.

• SneakyP
    12 years ago

I feel for you. We had some low 30's the other night and I lost 4 tomato's and and a few cantaloupe myself. But its part of the risk you take when you try to beat mother nature at her game.

Good Luck

• nancyjane_gardener
    12 years ago

Also, no idea where you are located! It would be good if you know your last date of frost, zone, type of soil, kind of garden beds etc. Nancy

• pnbrown
    12 years ago

TLI (as opposed to TMI).

• ltilton
    12 years ago

And what you had planted.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    12 years ago

Don't worry, I'm not new to gardening and had something similar happen. My cold weather crops were all planted at their normal times, but that was the period where we had extreme warmth. In the next month we had cold nights that were supposed to be above freezing but actually weren't, at least not at my house, and I lost about 50% of my crops... Which is actually better than the 90% I originally feared. So if misery loves company, here I am!

Anyway, it sounds like you had a freeze. But don't give up, there are more seeds, more plants, and many more months of growing in front of us. These set backs are just part of working with nature. Luckily nature can bring you pleasant surprises as well. Cheers!

• tbonez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement. I have a two 4 x8 beds. They are filled with top soil. I replanted everything today so I really hope this is he final product. I live in Atlanta so I hope that is the lastl of the frost.

On a side note is watering everyday for 15 minutes too much?

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

Yes. deep watering ( an inch or so) once a week is better.

• tbonez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement. I have a two 4 x8 beds. They are filled with top soil. I replanted everything today so I really hope this is he final product. I live in Atlanta so I hope that is the lastl of the frost.

On a side note is watering everyday for 15 minutes too much?

• Rathos
    12 years ago

Technically watering 15 minutes a day is not too much, although for two smaller beds, it's borderline. It really depends on your climate and soil composition.

The reason people discourage it is because it can tend to promote shallow roots and more dependence on that kind of watering. You can also run into other issues (disease, etc.) with chronically moist soil.

Either way, if the leaves start to curl and the plants look dry, water them. Rather weak roots than dead plants.

Cheers

-Rathos

• NCsunshine
    12 years ago

Tbonez we also had those 30 degeee nights last week. I was able to save my squash plants last week by covering them every evening just before dark with thin white bar towels (not terry). They've grown (from seeds) to about the size of a basketball so the towels were just the right size. Each morning around 9:00 when the sun was fully on my garden I'd go collect all of the towels. They all made it through the cold nights. My cabbage plants seemed to like the cold weather! I didn't cover them. The purchased tomatoes, eggplants, peppers and other plants are still in their flats so I just covered them with thin towels also. I hope to put them in the garden next week!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH