Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SFG shading/trellis

Posted by canadiadry none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 2, 12 at 21:08

Hi everyone,
I had my first SFG last year and loved it! I have a 2x2 box on my south facing apartment balcony that gets sun throughout the summer, so I can grow a variety of things.

Unfortunately, last year was a really hot/dry summer, so I had to constantly water my garden (sometimes twice a day) in order to protect my plants. I had a few plants that were unable to deal with the constant sunlight, so I had some issues with the plants drying out/baking in the sun. I grew cucumbers last year and really enjoyed growing them. I know they require a lot of water and I had to get a 5 foot tall vertical stake trellis for them. Since my box is on my balcony, I don't have any way to place them in the shade unless I constructed something. I guess my question is this: if I want to grow cucumbers and other veggies and want to provide shade to protect them from the baking sun, what would be a good trellis choice? I thought about the arch trellis (with the shade cloth), but would that be a good choice for cucumbers since they may overtake it quickly? I also only have a 2 x 2 box, so it needs to be able to fit in the small space while still allowing other plants (besides cucumbers) to grow. Thank you in advance and let me know if you have any questions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SFG shading/trellis

Can you hang something from anything above? Like one of the shade sails that can adjusted over it as the sun moves and to cover/uncover plants as needed. They have 3 or 4 corner connection points so one from the wall and one from a post in each corner of the balcony. See link below for examples of what I mean.

Another possibility might be a patio umbrella with the pole attached to 1 side of the bed and top can be tipped as needed.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Shade sails

o
RE: SFG shading/trellis

a company called koolaroo makes some attractive outdoor shade cloths. be careful with the shade though, it seems like water was a bitter issue that sun, if plants have enough water to respirate, they will grow happily in the hottest sun. if they don't have enough sun their growth will be stunted and they may not produce much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here