Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmaggie

Safe soil/Ground For Vegetable Gardening

tsmaggie
9 years ago

I'm not sure how to ask this question without coming across as ignorant, but if one doesn't ask, you can never get an answer.

I have been gardening for a few years, but have never came across the following situation before.

I have an area of woods on my property that gets sunlight all day long. Over the years, brush, including, poison ivy, and sumac, has grown very well on it.

I have cleared out, the brush, ivy, sumac, and trees. There has never been anything else in this area besides these plant species.

Is this soil safe to plant a vegetable garden? Given that it has had poisonous plants in it, does the poison still remain? What else should I be aware of when planting in this soil? There has never been any chemicals, or other harmful things dumped here.

My wife is handicapped, thus I am overly paranoid, and just want to make sure I am being safe.

A few years ago, I planted out in our lawn, where there had only been grass before, and we had no problems. The problem with the location was lack of sun.

Thanks for advice on what might appear to be a ridiculous question.

Comments (4)