Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting sprouted potatoes: which end is up?

Posted by zootjs zone 5 MA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 24, 10 at 22:41

Last year, I planted fingerlings, and when I harvested them, I saved some to plant this year, as seeds. I kept them in a paper bag.

I just looked at them, as I want to plant them now, and saw that they have long since sprouted. The sprouts are several inches long.

Do I plant the sprouted eyes going up or down? Generally, I understand that the eyes should point up, but if these were up, the potato would be pretty deep in the ground. Should they point sideways, in a trench, maybe?

--Jonathan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting sprouted potatoes: which end is up?

I suppose you could side lay in a trench but sprouts up is better. The potato needs to be buried fairly deep anyway so just bury most of the sprout and leave the tip exposed.

One point since you live in that part of the country that was hit with all the late blight last year. The official AG recommendation is not to use saved potatoes this year as the LB fungus can over-winter in saved potatoes. The potatoes won't show any signs of it until they sprout but if there was any LB in your vicinity last year you might want to consider if the risk of re-contamination is really worth it.

Just something to consider.

Dave

o

Dave rocks!

o

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the input.

I haven't heard anything about potato blight around here.

--Jonathan

o

Jonathan - it wasn't "potato blight" it was Late Blight in tomatoes and most of the tomato crop in the NE US was wiped out last year by it. MA included. News was full of it at the time. But the fungus that causes it can over-winter in potatoes since they are in the same family.

So, if you or a nearby neighbor grew tomatoes last year and lost them to the disease before the season was over, your potatoes "could" be infected. You might want to do some reading through the many discussions here on 'Late Blight' before deciding.

Dave

o

Right, got it. Thanks for the clarification.

I didn't get hit by the tomato blight last year, and I don't believe my neighbors did either, but I'll call around. How close does someone need to be to be considered a neighbor, for this purpose?

--Jonathan

P.S. By "not getting hit," I mean that I grew a ton of tomatoes and they were fine. Not that I didn't try growing tomatoes!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here