Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer squash: should I try a trellis?

Posted by tlouise 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 22:46

I have three kinds of squash seeds: Bennings Green Tiny patty pan squash, yellow scallop squash, and Black Beauty zucchini..
Do you think these will grow on a trellis? I think they are bush types,but has anyone had any luck getting them to grow vertically?

Thank you in advance for any input..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer squash: should I try a trellis?

Don't know the Bennings but the others a definitely bush types and no, there is no way they will climb a trellis - nothing on them to do the climbing - just short stems and big leaves and low to the ground squash. Sorry.

Dave

o

Squash come in two growth habits, bush and vining. For trellising you need the vining type. The seed catalog description should tell which it is.

Jim

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 6:38

tlouise

They will have huge leaves larger than dinner plates at the end of long hollow stems and must be spaced at 2-3 feet. These are typical summer squash plant forms. All summer squash form at the base of the stems like those in this picture -- these are yellow crooknecked squash.

o

*Most* summer squash are bush types and *most* winter squash are vining. There are exceptions to both.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Tromboncino

o

I am growing my squash "vertically" by stacking planters and putting the plants in the sides so they hang out. They don't seem to mind but they aren't climbers either! This allows me to grow more in less space. I had to build a pvc support structure because of the weight of the soil.

o

I've been curious about how bush summer squash would do grown in a tomato cage... since it does vine a LITTLE bit, seems like it would save space to keep the vine growing up rather than sprawling. I might try it this year if I can find some castoff (free!) cages...

o

I've been curious about how bush summer squash would do grown in a tomato cage... since it does vine a LITTLE bit, seems like it would save space to keep the vine growing up rather than sprawling.

Yeah, if you can call 3 inches a vine. ;) Seriously, what you will discover is that the hollow stems "break" over the cage wires and then die. "Bush" summer squash do not vine and they do not grow up. They grow out. Sorry.

Dave

o

Here summer squash comes in early and plays out pretty quickly. If space is a concern you could probably plant something in that spot after it's done.

o

this is my squash on the front porch.

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 12:28

alabamanicole

Summer squash is neither early nor does it play out in the summer. They love the summer heat and continue until frost unless disease takes them out.

o
Summer squash, cont'd

Locally, we plant mid April and are usually harvesting by late May. I can squeeze 5 or 6 weeks out of a plant with less fruit and lower quality fruit at the end, but market farmers only harvest 2-3 weeks from a plant.

You can succession plant until mid-August, but by July everyone is so sick of squash no one wants any more, and the cukes and melons and winter squash are looking for room to sprawl anyway.

o

I grow two types of summer squash - true vining (8+ feet) and more bush-like that, for me, produce a very short vine. I've tried trellising them both. I can second Dave's experience that a heavy, hollow squash vine will bend and break when draped over a wire or sharp tie (twine, green twine). Especially if it is your (well, my) best loved squash, Romanesco. I have had move success gently training short vined types up the trellis by supporting them carefully with soft, white rope (don't know what it is called).

Some short-vine/bush-like varieties can be planted closely and trained up about three-four feet - particularly Coosa, Sarzana and Odessa. Romanesco and Striato d'Italia really do not like trellising, despite their tendency to vine a bit. For true vining (8+ feet) summer squash, try Trombachino, Tatume, Mayeras or Gialla Nostrale.

I tried to find a picture from last year, but I can't find one. Why don't I take more pictures??!

Bellatrix

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here