Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spaghetina

Orange-headed, black-bodied bug inhabiting the yard - PIC

spaghetina
13 years ago

I've done numerous searches, and since I have yet to come up with anything, I thought it was time to ask the GW population.

These bugs are around my yard in pretty decent numbers, and seem to prefer the Santa Rosa plum tree in the backyard, although I've seen them on everything from the roses to my peppers. I can't tell whether or not they're doing any damage to other crops, the the plum tree looks absolutely pitiful.

It was difficult to get a good, close, full body shot, and you can't tell very well from the photo, but they're about a 1/2" long, with a slender black body, and an orange head. They're winged, and almost seem as though they're making noises as they fly. Super creepy.

Any idea what they could be?

{{gwi:46924}}

Comments (13)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

It's a lightning bug.

• bella_trix
    13 years ago

Not in San Francisco, it's not :) No lightning bugs there. I remember seeing those bugs, too, but I can't remember what they are. Sorry, I'm not much help.

Bellatrix

• bella_trix
    13 years ago

The name "blister beetle" just came back to me and when I looked it up on google images, it does match your discription. Hope this is your beetle!

Bellatrix

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Well that's what I get for not looking at the local (o0)

• spaghetina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hehe, taz, definitely not a lightning bug, though I wish we had them out here. It's been a long, long time since I've seen one in person.

Bellatrix, the body shape definitely looks like that of a blister beetle, but I'll have to do some more looking around through the 7,500 species to see if something matches up. Thanks!

I tried to zap one with an electric tennis-racket bug zapper thingy earlier so that I could have a dead one to photograph, but either I have no idea how to use the zapper, it doesn't actually work, or the bug has superhero powers and survived the shock, so I couldn't get any more detailed, close-up shots. I'll try again tomorrow!

• seysonn
    13 years ago

Probably those buggs are not responsible for teh misery of your plum tree.The one in the picture looks diseased, as I can tell from thr curling leaves...PROBABLY!

• ltilton
    13 years ago

Maybe posting this on the fruits forum would help. There are really knowledgable people over there.

• mrdoitall
    13 years ago

Is it a Tanbark Beetle?

• rnewste
    13 years ago

I've squashed 2 of them down here in Campbell last week when emptying a couple of EarthTainers. They contained tan bark in them so maybe the previous poster has them correctly identified. They moved pretty fast, so I didn't have a chance to really look at them, other than the bright orange and black markings.

This Season, I've got the Take Down Garden Spray at the ready for the Psyllids and Tomato Russet Mites. I am using silver reflective plastic much in the 'Tainers this Season to bring some brightness to the underside of the leaves. We will see if this has any deterrent on the critters....

Plants are about 18 inches tall now and some are flowering.

Raybo

• habitat_gardener
    10 years ago

Soldier beetle? If so, it's beneficial -- eats other insects.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

I also thought soldier beetle. Hard to tell from just a side shot, though.

• Kevin Reilly
    10 years ago

soldier beetle, you probably have aphids on that tree. if you don't like the aphids don't kill the beetle :)

• angiemomma4
    10 years ago

I'd say Soldier Beetle, too.

:)