Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emorems0

Woops, totally neglected my cool crops

emorems0
9 years ago

I got really caught up with birthday party planning and prep for my two birthday girls this month and completely neglected my seedlings... Now that the party is over, I'm in a bit of a panic over my cool crops (tomatoes, peppers and herbs are doing just fine). They've been kept under lights and watered, and I periodically turn a light fan on them for 'wind', but the cool plants should have been hardened off and transplanted by now.

Cabbage should have been planted out the first week of April; broccoli, cauliflower, and nasturtiums should have been hardened off and planted out last week. I put them all out for about an hour or two this afternoon, but I'm really not sure how to proceed at this point since they've all been in their trays inside for an extra 2+ weeks.

Forecast for the next 10 days is fairly consistent low 60s/upper 50s during the day and low 40s at night... Rain Friday morning, party cloudy this weekend, then rain again all of next week. Definitely won't be planting them out in the rain, should I transfer them to deeper pots and bury the roots deeper (don't think that works for nasturtiums, but it should for the brassicas, right?) since they are quite leggy at this point. Spend this rainy week hardening them off on my porch and plant out as soon as the rain clears? Or take my chances and get them out Friday after the rain clears with two days to settle in before more rain? (thinking it's best to wait and give them more time to harden off)

*cell size of my trays is 2.25"x 2.25", so not tiny... plants aren't root bound or anything, just wondering if I should re-pot them deeper while hardening off or leave them as is and plant them deeper when I plant them out.

Have I missed my chance at good brassicas? I've always planted too late in the Spring (usually with store-bought plants) and they always just bolt due to warm weather. I actually started things on time this year, but I'm wondering if I've just ruined my chance at home-grown brassicas again by keeping them inside too long.

Here is a link that might be useful: 10-day weather forecast

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?