Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyaustin96

How to get seeds from broccoli

ladyaustin96
15 years ago

I have three broccoli plants with vegetable on them. Want to learn how to get seed from them for the fall. Does anyone know?

Kim

Comments (5)

• andesgrrl
    15 years ago

No, but I would love to know! When I planted my broccoli seeds (first time this year), the seeds looked like the teeny round things at the tip of a raw broccoli spear. I was wondering if that was correct, and if so, is it just a matter of rubbing those off and letting them dry out?

Speaking of seeds, what is a sesame seed the seed of????

• yumamelon
    15 years ago

Hello.
    The head of the broccoi are immature flowers. You need to let the broccoli go to flower and allow it to get pollinated. It will loose it's flowers and in their place will be little seed pods. They will mature over some time and you can harvest them when they are firm. You don't need to wait until they are completly "brown". You can harvest at firm, dark green. If it is an OP I would let a few plants go to flower. If it is a hybrid you can go with one plant and see what you get.
    Jonny

• ladyaustin96
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think a couple of mine are doing just that. I'll try to post pics tomorrow evening.

Thanks! Kim

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    15 years ago

The green broccoli that we eat is a bunch of flower buds. Don't cut it off the plant when it looks like the broccoli one would eat. Instead leave it for awhile longer and the green round buds will open into yellow flowers. If these are pollinated, seeds will form. It is best to have several plants as the seed set will be much better when pollen from another plant reaches the flowers. Several seeds will be inside a pod over an inch long and a bit larger around than the seed. Harvest them when they are dried and tan colored. Break the pods open to get the seeds.

Each head of broccoli will produce ALOT of flowers. Broccoli will cross with lots of other brassicas such as cabbage, cauliflower, collards, etc, etc. I would buy seed since I think it is a bit of a hassle to be sure of getting pure seed instead of some brassic cross. However, the green pods can be eaten and seeds can be sprouted and eaten as young sprouts. It really doesn't matter if the green pods or sprouts are the result of cross pollination. They still are tasty.

• mudflapper
    15 years ago

When ready, cut the main flower head to eat and just let the plant do its thing, side shoots will grow, flower and set seed and when the seed pods turn brown and are crispy when ground in the palm of your hand you will see small black seeds that is the time to harvest your seed and if no other brassicas are around you have broccoli, other wise broccoflower or some other cross, but I really like the cross of Broccoli and Cauliflower.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting