Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First harvest of something edible.

Posted by AiliDeSpain 6a - Utah (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 0:09

Just wanted to share the first harvest of spinach from the garden. Next will be snap peas and lettuce. So excited!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First harvest of something edible.

Very Nice. congrats on first harvest.
My spinach is about ready. I am going to let it grow another week. We are going to have warm 8 to 10 days ahead.

Yeah, I have a dozen or so of snap peas but they don't even have flowers yet. Next come corn salad and lettuce.

o

Asparagus is always first here, by a long stretch.

But yesterday I picked the first lettuce and spinach thinnings. Ate them, too.

This really opens the season for me, more than the asparagus.

Next, I see some broccoli heads starting, and a couple of bok choy are big enough to pick for a stir fry.

o

Congrats! We've been having aspargus, overwintered kale, and green garlic pretty regularly for a couple of weeks. Looks like radish and broccoli will be next to be ready, and then likely the lettuce, beets, turnips and peas will come all at once. Then will be the big wait until summer crops start giving us their goodness!

o

Egyptian onions are always my first harvest in spring. They're harvested as soon as the ground is thawed (usually in March). Well before asparagus starts showing up.

Rodney

o

I start a flat of lettuce indoors and transplant it outside pretty early under agribon cover , so now the heads, well, are about a head size)

o

Seysonn, do you harvest all your spinach at once?I have just been harvesting older leaves and leaving the plant to continue to produce.

o

Nice aili! I think I may put spinach on the "don't grow anymore" list though. Too much space for the amount I get. Love it though. I just wish I had more space. :(

Kevin

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sun, May 11, 14 at 18:31

Ha! I have been harvesting dandelion and sorrel for three weeks, nettles for a couple of weeks, garlic shoots for a month, asparagus for a week, and today I picked a couple of overwintered chicory heads. But I am quite the adaptable guy. The nettles have a day or two when the plants are large enough but the stems are still soft. The fava greens are this close to be ready, and they better be because the tomatoes taking their place are ready to go (lilacs are blooming).

o

Glib, lilacs are fading here :)

o

From sunny California, so far only one strawberry. Sheesh.

o

Seysonn, do you harvest all your spinach at once?I have just been harvesting older leaves and leaving the plant to continue to produce.
%%%%%%%%%
I will harvest by pulling the bigger ones. Don't have a whole lot of it. I want to plant Swiss chard in its place. I am growing the chard in pots now. I like chards more than spinach. They won't bolt here easily . especially in partial sun.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Mon, May 12, 14 at 11:37

Very strange season. Flowering pears are blooming now, about 3 weeks late. Asparagus was one week late. But lilac is early by a few days. Obviously, after a terrible winter we had a warmer than usual spring, with decent rains.

o

We've had bok choy, which all bolted last week. :/. Corn salad is also all done. And we've been picking scallions and pea shoots here and there. One round of radishes already too. Lost all my spinach when I had to move the garden beds. Still waiting for a warm up to get everything else in the ground!!

o

Looking for something you couldn't fit into your own garden. Check out what your local farmers have available. Visit Agrilicious and find what you can source locally. #allthingslocalfood

Here is a link that might be useful: Agilicious.org

o

O" ! them bok Choys. They bolt faster than you can say "AH". :D
Even here in PNW, with some of the coolest spring weather, they bolt in no time. NEVER again Bok Choy for me.
I am growing Corn Salad instead, plus Swiss Chard and Butter head (bibb) lettuce. And my spinach is ready.

o

I got a variety from Johnny's, supposed to stand the heat. Mei Qing Choi. I like the look of them at the moment. But I do notice one plant that's a darker green than the rest, bet it's another variety got into the wrong packet. I may take that one first.

o

I will harvest (pull) all my spinach this week. I just transplanted whole bunch of Swiss Chard. They have better texture than spinach, can grow much bigger and won't bolt as readily. And nice color too.

o

I just started harvesting the thinnings this week. I'm betting on a cold spring, despite the occasional heat spell, and I planted lots of the stuff. But I like spinach and will take all I can get.

o

Seriously!! I love bok choy but man is it a PITA! Literally the day I said "I think I should pick those, they might bolt soon". Went out to have a look and sure enough, flower stalks on every single last one. I think I'll try a fall planting and next spring plant them denser and pick them small. They never get passed medium size without bolting anyway.

o

Mindy, bok choy is one of those things that only work as a fall crop. Spring-planted, as you say, bolts and gets tough very quickly. In your zone, I'd direct-seed it outside in mid to late August.
It can be covered with a low tunnel to prolong the fall harvest period but it is not as hardy as kale or spinach. Harvest it before night temperatures drop below the mid-20s.

o

Here's some of my Mei Qing Choi, ready to pick as baby choi, which is how I like it. The one on the right seems to be a different kind, so I'll probably pick it first, today.

I don't know how long all these will stand, but it's sure been a cold spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here