Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrots and Zucchini

Posted by jrslick KS/5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 11 at 0:54

I am pretty proud of these carrots. They were planted in my high tunnel on Feb 11th. I got the tiller stuck in the snow to work the ground! They are sweet, crunchy and delicious!

Photobucket

Here are some blooms of the first Zucchini of the year. These guys are planted in a tunnel to. I will probably be picking zucchini the end of next week!

Photobucket

Don't worry they don't have powdery mildew, the leaves are Molted. They look normal.

Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrots and Zucchini

The carrots are beautifull. I haven't managed to get any that were even nearly that pretty though they have tasted pretty good.
I have zuchini and yellow squash ready for me to harvest tomorrow.

o

I've forgotten: do you insulate the ground underneath?

Dan

o

Dan,

No insulation.

Jay

o

Jay-

Looking good! My low tunnel carrots are moving right along, although I didn't thin enough! so I may have some mutant carrots.

How is your broccoli/cauliflower doing? Some of mine are near the point they should start forming heads. They really took off the last 2 weeks.

o

Broccoli and Cauliflower is a sore spot. They were wind beat fairly bad, out of the South for 3 days, then the North for 3 more! Then the rabbits moved in and I lost 2-3 dozen plants total.

I have shot most of the rabbits, but I noticed some missing leaves again yesterday. I guess I have another rabbit moving in.

Last year I was picking some broccoli, by the 25th, not this year. It will be later.

Jay

o

Whats weird is around here i have not seen a rabbit yet this spring (knock on wood). I've heard they go in cycles, so maybe this is a low year or maybe winter just killed them all (hopefully).

The low tunnel vs the outside is pretty remarkable.
Photobucket

I've got a few this big that I would think would soon start forming heads.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here